BC Boards

Training question: The leash

Hi all! Very new here and got a chance to meet some people and introduce myself (and Cash!) yesterday and am curious about some behavior he has while on leash.

He will follow me around on leash for the most part especially if we are playing, but when i try to walk consistently he just likes to either sit or lay down and look at me. :rolleyes: He is 9 weeks right now so I assume that he's just being a puppy and it's mostly when we are around the barn where he isn't so sure about the horses, but wondering if this is something I should be addressing now so it's not a problem in the future, or if it will resolve on it's own once he get a bit older and less timid.

Thanks!

Mary

He's a baby. He just doesn't understand what he's supposed to do. All you have to do is be patient, take time, let him figure it out, and make it enticing for him to follow you.

Remember, it's not *natural* for an animal to give in and follow a restriction around the neck. Some pups will panic and throw themselves around, when first learning on leash, so your boy just sounds befuddled. He's so, so very young. Be patient, and don't ask him to go very far on leash, until he figures it out. :)

Good luck!

~ Gloria

He's still a baby, so I wouldn't worry about it too much yet, Libby, my now 14 week old, had the same issue, but she is basically over it now. What I did was take her and Chloe for a walk together, and she watched Chloe walk on leash, and Libby started to figure it out. I also used some treats and toys once she started to figure it out. So I don't know if you have any other dogs, or any of your friends have dogs (who are fully vaccinated, can't have a little unvaccinated pup running around with any dogs you aren't 100 percent sure are fully vaccinated), then maybe try taking them for a walk together, or tie Cash up and have him watch you take another dog for a walk, he may figure it out from watching another dog do it. P.S, you have an adorable pup!

I like to use a flexi when introducing puppies to the leash because there are fewer problems with them getting tangled and more lag time for them to keep up with or get back to me. It didn't work with Quinn who immediately gnawed through the retractable part of the flexi, but my other pups did well on it.

As others have said he is very much a baby. Maybe following you fun, don't ask for too much of it and be patient while he gets used to the whole notion. You can also let him drag the leash since at that age they tend to stay close by.

P.S.
I agree with Sue. At his very tender age, every instinct he owns is telling him that a thousand pound animal with hard, smashing hooves is dangerous, so of course he's wary of and perhaps worried by them.

Never put him in a situation that is overwhelming to him. He needs to know that you are safe to him and that you can be trusted. Plus you don't want the leash to mean Scary Things may happen.

Again, best of luck and be patient. :)

~ Gloria

I'm not all that fond of flexi-leashes with puppies. I think with many puppies it just teaches them that good things happen if you pull on a leash (more freedom). If you do get one, though, get one of the "tape" kind, not one of the "cord" kind. The "cord" kind has been known to amputate human fingers (if it gets wrapped around your finger).

Also agree about puppies and horses. Puppies (as well as adult dogs) can easily be killed by a single kick to the head. Even donkeys can and will kill dogs. Best keep them separated, and as Gloria says, let your puppy know that the leash is not an instrument of torture that will expose him to Scary Things.

An additional issue with having him around the horses is that it is very easy for him to begin to notice them as "livestock" and "turn on" so that he wants to work them, which is very hazardous to a dog of any age but particularly a youngster. I would suggest you wait until he is older and not intimidated being around them but also older so that you can watch for his adopting "herding behaviors" and nip that issue in the bud so that he is aware that horses are *not* to be worked.

My first purebred, working-bred pup was extremely keen and, since I took him to the stable where I worked from when he was little, he picked up all sorts of bad habits that I was not experienced enough to recognize as bad habits and then not knowledgeable enough to avoid or "untrain" - chasing brooms, nipping at the horses, and so on.

I made sure when I got my next pup that he was confined or stalled when we were working with the horses, particularly moving them about, or when I was using barn tools (like brooms) whose movement would attract his attention. While I did not successfully avoid his interest in horses entirely (I have a steep learning curve), I did manage to get a handle on his interest so that he was and is controllable around them. The three youngsters I have had since then have had no interest in horses, because I finally had the experience to avoid allowing a situation that mighr result in a problem behavior, could recognize a potential problem, and could be proactive to avoid that potential problem behavior from developing.

As others have said he is very much a baby. Maybe following you fun, don't ask for too much of it and be patient while he gets used to the whole notion. You can also let him drag the leash since at that age they tend to stay close by.

That's actually another sort of quirk that I have noticed is that he doesn't seem to have an desire to be close by me or have that natural urge to follow. He's pretty independent and was since I brought him home (has never cried when left alone) so I'm thinking this might just be his personality. Not sure. Hmmm. :huh:

Also thank you all so much for being so kind and helpful! All advice and tips are very much appreciated. I do agree Sue R that I don't want him to have any "herding" contact with my horses as I know that IS dangerous. I'm curious to know how you keep your newest 3 pups to not care about the horses. I'm impressed!

I think that the key with the most recent three youngsters (two were pups and one was a teenager of 9 months) was that with the pups, even though I had a horse here at home and we could see horses on walks next door, was that I avoided taking the pups out to the horses when they were young enough to be intimidated. And, when they were a bit older, I made sure that if there was *any* reaction to the horse(s), that I immediately let them know that that was not allowed. By this age, they knew what "leave it" meant and I would use that.

I use "that'll do" to mean that while what they have been doing is fine, it is over for now - as in stockwork. But when it's something that *isn't* fine (like interest in a horse), I use "leave it" which means (in my lexicon) that it wasn't fine and isn't fine and isn't going to happen. At least that's the theory which is not always 100% reliable for the one dog but is pretty reliable for the older one.

And that leads me to mention that I think teaching a good, solid "leave it" is one of the most important things you can do for your dog, and I regret not doing that with Dan as well as I did with Celt. It's best learned as a young pup and that lesson stays with them for life if it is taught well. There have been a few topics that covered that and a search might let you find them.

Good luck with your pup!

That's actually another sort of quirk that I have noticed is that he doesn't seem to have an desire to be close by me or have that natural urge to follow. He's pretty independent and was since I brought him home (has never cried when left alone) so I'm thinking this might just be his personality. Not sure. Hmmm. :huh:

Quinn was an independent minded pup as well. Really work your recall with little treats for coming and fun games. Make a point of calling him and then letting him return to play so he doesn't associate his recall with "all fun ends." One useful thing about the puppy dragging a leash or long line is you can step on it or grab it if the puppy isn't of a mind to listen to you. It is good to stop or prevent the pup from doing behaviors you don't like. :)

Hang in there. These are very early days and your baby is still getting to know you. Quinn was around 5 or 6 months before I think he decided I was important to him. That was a huge turning point in our relationship and pretty much overnight he went from the most difficult puppy I ever had to the best one ever. Every pup is a different adventure with new skills to teach us. Have fun with your special little guy.