BC Boards

training/tricks

Hello all,

I have a border collie/boston terrier mix, i recieved for Christmas from my Wife... and i have gone through the basic commands as well as fetch and a few games... is there a web site or some thing that would give me a better list of games, tricks, and training for my dog? I have toys and chews, but she seems to get border with fetch and is very easily distrated...

Outside, she does not fetch.. she may run and chase the ball, but will not bring it back... on a leech it is a diferent story, she is more confident, but still a handful about fetch or other outside training.

She is adorable, and has most charactistics of a BC than that of a terrier.

Sorry, no real herding for her yet... still not real good at basic commands.

any help would be apprechiated.

thank you,

stephen

stephen-

I have a border collie and my housemate has a boston terrier! We were joking the other day that it would be funny to breed them (dont worry, they are both fixed) and wondered what the pups would look like. Do you have any pics? If not could you tell me in words what she looks like? I bet she is adorable!!

There are a couple of books around, one I know of is "Dog Tricks for Dummies" It looks pretty good. Other than that just use your imagination. I'm working on teaching my dog to get me a beer out of the fridge and bring it to me (and close the fridge door too of course).

Olivia

Carlie the border collie

Issac the boston terrier

I have a great book called "Wonderdog - everything your dog wanted to learn but was afraid to ask" by Dr. Katrina Warren. Katrina is a vet on a TV program here called Harry's Practice. She has a tan and white border collie called Toby, and sometimes has him on the show doing fun tricks. It's a great step by step book, but often requires a particular obedience movement first. It will tell you - eg dog must be able to drop on command to learn this trick.

Sharon

Mag Birch-

I actually have 2 housemates. Cathy wanted a boxer back in the summer. I tried to talk her out of it and into a rescued greyhound because she wanted a couch potato and a dog that is easy to train. Greyhounds are huge lazy bums that usually come with some training. But no, she decided to go to the pound and adopt a pup. Enter Belle, a rhodesian ridgeback X hound, 60 lbs, crazy hyper, dumb as a brick, jumps on the counters, has a tail that leaves bruises on your legs on a regular basis and in general makes my life miserable. Cathy took her through obedience training at my instance after Belle tore a hole in my dogs face from not knowing how to play properly or listen to Cathy.

We then decided that 2 dogs was enough and Megan, the other housemate, agreed. But when she went home over Thanksgiving break her parents gave her a little boston terrier puppy. She had talked about getting one after graduation but her parents decided to go ahead and buy her one now. Surprise! Issac has turned out to be a sweetheart. At 5.5 months old he knows most obedience commands and has a list of tricks that is almost as long as Carlie's. They are even on identical trick commands so saying "high five" will get you two paws up in the air from them sitting side by side. Very cute. Belle on the other hand just jumps around the room running over the other dogs as we try to work with them. Cathy thinks its cute. Bells has no tricks, no shake or roll over or anything. She just doesnt seem to connect commands to actions well.

Oh well, sorry this was so long. That is our crazy little duplex plus the 50 gallon salt water aquarium and Archimedes the red eared slider turtle. You can definately tell we are all animal science majors!

Olivia

Carlie the border collie

Issac the boston terrier

Belle the mutt

I have a ton of PIX of Maka Lea.. that's Hawaiian for Twinkled eyed/ Mischevious... fits her to a T. So if i could ever figure out how to post one on this site, i would if not you could go to asianavenue.com or .net ? not sure and look up my wife's website there to see Pix. I think she still has a few up there. It would be under jamrateam or Jenn Fortune... not sure i don't go there enough to know... if not drop me an e-mail at for2dream@hotmail.com and after i get the system back up i will send u pix of her...

But in words... she is all black, with a block head, @ 15-20 lbs, has a white strip from the tip of her nose up to between her eyes, and from the under side lip to her belly a huge white stripe (an upside-down skunk) and a cute white tipped tail... she had a very small white spot on her back just where the neck line and back meet, but her black hair is now longer than that..

overall looks... a bc with a bt's head, but a combo snout... she is the quientessencial (sp) dog.. her fur is longer than a terrier's but not the bc norm... she has blue eyes. and draws a crowd everywhere we go... she loves kids.. never meets a stranger... her ears are a combo as well... they can perk up like the BT, but mostly have the alertness of a BC.. and when she eats her vitamins... (my wife loves this) her ears fold back, and she has the cutest puppy dog baby face as she licks on the tube.

she has mismatched white socks as well.. they start as knee-highs on her right front (i think) and go down to just barely on the toes in the back. Her toenails also have black and white mixed in them.

well, now that i board you guys with baby-pictures in words.. i will check out some of the sites you have informed me about...

thanks,

stephen