BC Boards

Watch Me

Does anyone have some ideas for decreasing watching everything around her (general curious busybody stickybeak border collie) and increasing watch me on command? She works remarkably well really, given that she is concentrating on everything at once!

Also anyone else doing scent discrimination. Please tell me that the dog eventually takes the metal piece. We've been going through the yuk I hate that thing stage for months and I'm starting to think the light at the end of the tunnel has been disconnected due to budget restraints.

Sharon

I teach "watch me" but I use the command "look" by using food. This sounds silly but I will take a treat hold it between my eyes and then say look. Once they look at me, I will give the treat. I gradually increase the time they must look/watch me before they get the treat.

For scent discrimination I am useless.

i have taught my border collie (3 1/2 months old) to look at me and like 2 devils i use food and also her favorite toy. As we are playing with the toy and she is watching it waiting for me to throw it i bring it up to my eyes and tell her to look at me and of course she is following the toy and at the same time is now looking at me and it has worked.