BC Boards

Dog won't work alone.

5Bordercollies

Hi everyone, I hope someone has some advice for me. I have a problem with my four-year old BC girl. She is working bred, although not from very good lines, unlike the other four. She is a very nervous, high strung type of dog who seems almost unable to handle any pressure. Even me sitting outside in the yard with the dogs loose around me, the others will pass out, but Xena runs in circles around the yard.

Thru the years I tried several times to take her to stock (unfortunatlely up untill now we've only had goats, sheep will be coming soon.the jackall are robbing us bankrupt on the other farm), but she doesn't seem to know what to do. If by accident she runs around the goats, they do respond by flocking, but she dosn't seem to understand that this is her doing and that is what is supposed to happen. she will just stop and look to me like "okay, so now what?" The goats sense her weakness and promptly scatter again, she will then just stnad there looking at them. Even if encouraged, she might sometimes not go around again.

But let her loose in the pen alongside another dog and I swear the other dog tells her what to do. Then she seems to just know where to be and what to do. How can I train her to work alone? or should I just make my peace and let her work with the other dog(s)? I'm not looking to train a trail dog, just a good ranch dog who can give me a helping paw with the goats. The biggest problem is I don't have an finished dog to put her with. i'm finally getting round to training my dogs. Rising costs of workers' salaries means we have less help. I am currently training my almost two year old bitch, but she's still a bit fast and nippy. So not neccesarily a good example.

Some dogs need the livestock to be moved in order to trigger their drive and others are simply working the other dog and not really the livestock. If you can verify which is happening it would be helpful, if the first is happening then she may catch on if you just keep moving the stock in a specific fashion asking her to help an then labeling what she is doing. If the second is the case I don't see alot of hope.

I have a good friend that has a dog that sounds simular to yours, but she did have a relentless toy drive, out of frustration he began taking her tennis ball and throwing to it amongst the livestock. One day the light went on and she realized that she created the motion, like for the first time she actually saw the livestock and react to them. Over time she did become a very useful dog for him, but she was never one to have good rate or feel, lots of bite and really good obedience.

I would have never bothered messing with that dog, imo it would be a better investment of my time and resources to apply them to a better quality dog who has a natural desire to engage livestock, but it is a good example of how a owner not willing to give up can turn lemons into lemonaide, and you do learn from each one.

Another possibility is that your dog does not have the confidence to work the goats alone and the other dog provides extra support and confidence. It is certainly ok to use the other dog to provide confidence or provide some stimulation (in terms of moving the goats). Just as with any tool, you need to have a plan to avoid dependence on the other dog. This can start just be quietly having the other dog lie down and stay out of the picture and allow the non-confident dog to continue working. Then continue to have the first dog there as necessary - to back her up and make her think she is moving and controlling the sheep alone when the other dog is actually doing it.

If it is a lack of confidence, the things you do can also help or hinder your dog. Learn how you can help your dog to gain confidence.

Good luck with her! gail

Gail may well have hit on something, there. Many dogs don't like goats at all, because they don't flock well and are disrespectful. If your girl is perhaps not as brave as she might be, those goats may simply be too much. It's not uncommon for a dog to show all the "right moves" when playing with other dogs, but then lack the courage to apply that instinct to scary livestock - especially goats.

Even my strong, pushy boy doesn't care for goats, and if I am called to move a mixed flock, he's happy to just abandon the goats and bring the sheep on without them. ;)

When you get your sheep, if they are gentle and not real flighty, you may well be able to help her find her courage. :)

~ Gloria

Gail, thanks. She isn't a very confident dog in general so it might be that being with another dog is less stressfull than being alone\ with me. Gloria, yes the sheep... they run a mile when they see a human being, a dog is a jackall of another colour so I don't think they'll be much help. It will probably take us months to "tame" them. At the moment they are kept at liberty on our other piece of land where we unfortunately only go about once a week. To check waters and such. My goats actually flock rather well and for the most part don't really try and get the upper hand over the dog. My dogs are very strong tending to be very fast and quite nippy. I'm currently training my almost two year old bitch and if she just thinks a goat is thinking of breaking or giving her the evil eye she will think nothing of nipping them. I'm trying to slow her down, but as Bruce Fogt once said of training his first dog: " Training was not as simple as I thought it would be. It was more like reciting the alphabet backwards while dancing the jitterbug."

I do think the goats is just a little scared of the dogs, which leaves me with mixed feelings, but sometimes it does make for some very hilarious moments; Last week the goats broke into the orange grove next to the house, so I sent Jess, accompanied by Xena- the one I was asking about in this post- to fetch them out. They proceeded to take the goats back to the kraal top speed. Yesterday the goats broke into the grove again - someone left a gate unlatched- when I saw them I was debating whether to send the dog\s after them again, when I decided to do a little experiment. Without actually sending a dog I started blowing the short sharp blasts I give Jess for a walk up signal. The goats promptly gathered themselves into a flock and left the grove top speed. It was quite a funny sight to see a flock of goats gather themselves without any person \ dog assisting.