BC Boards

Herding Evaluation

Leah55

Hello, I'm new to this forum, and have a 4 year old probably Border Collie/ Great Pyrenees mix. We were planning on taking him to a herding evaluation on Friday to see if he had any potential. He has always loved to herd anything that moves including sleds and the elk and deer around our house even though we try to prevent it. He never chases the elk he just herds them into a group and then comes trotting back looking extremely proud of himself, and they have never even attempted to kick him because he stays back and doesn't try to nip them. Do you think he could do basic herding we aren't planning on doing competitions? Also he is extremely smart and has a pretty good stay, and come. Thanks for any insight!

I attached a pic of him. Do you think his breed is likely?

Your photo seems to have gone astray, but who knows, it couldn't hurt to have him evaluated, if you just want to go to a trainer and do a little weekend training.

That said, though, PLEASE do not let him bother the deer or elk! Those front hooves are deadly and they could split his skull or cut him up badly, if ever a cow elk or doe took exception to him. Even if he's not hurting them, it's harassment to the animals and they don't deserve that.

Best of luck with your boy, and please keep him safe.

~ Gloria

Hi Gloria, I didn't mean to say that we incuradge him to herd the elk. It's just that we live in an area that has a very large population of elk and deer, we try to prevent it but sometimes he exscapes and it can't be helped. It only occurs a few times a year at the most and he is improving when he sees them he doesn't Greek out as much. But thanks for your insite anyway.

Understood. Keep working on a solid recall, then, and hopefully time and training will help with managing his impulses. :)/>/>

~ GLoria

Ok thanks for the tips.

Here is a pic of Bear as a puppy:

P1040232_zpsc1a281b5.jpeg

Being a mountain goat:

P1160437_zps181b221c.jpeg

And a few weeks ago:

P1220035_zpsc668ad07.jpg

Do you think the mix of Border Collie/ Great Pyrenees is likely?

And any more insight on his herding evaluation would also be helpful, or any helpful hints you have for me!

Thanks!!

He looks like a big, happy, adorable goof. ;) It's hard to guess what else is in the mix, could be any number of larger breeds. Pyr seems possible if he perhaps came from a farming area and was maybe a "woops" puppy.

Have you located a trainer in your area? There's really not much to say about a herding evaluation, except by a trainer who is actually looking at your dog. What I would recommend is that you should first visit a prospective trainer without your dog, and watch them work other dogs. If there is anything about them or their methods that make you uncomfortable ... walk away.

After all, you're only doing this out of curiosity and/or for fun, and you don't ever want to subject your dog to someone whose methods may be harsh or otherwise not to your liking.

Most importantly, just enjoy your dog for who he is - whatever he is. :) Herding is not something he'll require in life, when he's happy just being your pal.

Give the big dude a pet from me.

~ Gloria

He looks like a big, happy, adorable goof. ;)/> It's hard to guess what else is in the mix, could be any number of larger breeds. Pyr seems possible if he perhaps came from a farming area and was maybe a "woops" puppy.

Have you located a trainer in your area? There's really not much to say about a herding evaluation, except by a trainer who is actually looking at your dog. What I would recommend is that you should first visit a prospective trainer without your dog, and watch them work other dogs. If there is anything about them or their methods that make you uncomfortable ... walk away.

After all, you're only doing this out of curiosity and/or for fun, and you don't ever want to subject your dog to someone whose methods may be harsh or otherwise not to your liking.

Most importantly, just enjoy your dog for who he is - whatever he is. :)/> Herding is not something he'll require in life, when he's happy just being your pal.

Give the big dude a pet from me.

~ Gloria

Yes, we did locate a trainer her name is Cathy Balllu, does any body know anything about her? I know it would be best to watch first but I just want to see if its a possibility and if she does anything I'm uncomfortable with I'll just tell her so. I defiantly just love him for who he is and if he turns out to not be much of a sheep dog thats defiantly fine as well.

I second what Laura says. I just wouldn't expect a dog that part LGD to be very amenable to herding training. Part of the value of an LGD is independence. They will move stock in order to protect them, but they were bred for a very different job than a border collie, so just keep your expectations in check and have fun.

J.

• 1 month later...