BC Boards

Trials in Texas/Oklahoma?

BKLD

I'm rather new to the working border collie, and I really want to go to a trial myself as a spectator, watch the dogs work, and maybe learn a thing or two. The problem is, I can't travel very far. How do I go about finding trials nearby? Also, on a slightly unrelated note, I plan on getting my first border collie in the next 2 or 3 years, and plan on herding with my dog. Is there any good place around Dallas to train?

To answer your second question first, Herbert and Alison Holmes live not far from Dallas, at or near Granbury. Herbert is the current president of the USBCHA (United States Border Collie Handlers Association) and would be an excellent person to contact with regards to training or training resources. Herbert is a member of these boards, and both he and Alison are on Facebook.

Whatever you do, choose train with an accomplished Open level USBCHA handler/trainer and not with someone who is into AKC or AHBA (AHBA - American Herding Breeds Association - is not bad for a secondary venue but avoid anything to do with AKC, in my opinion).

To answer the first question secondly, check the upcoming trials at the USBCHA website (the upcoming sheep trials are here. And also check the TSDA (Texas Stockdog Association) website for upcoming trials (here

is the link to their website, where you can select to see upcoming sheepdog or cattledog trials).

In addition to Herbert, you can meet people at trials (volunteering is a wonderful way to get to meet people and make connections) who might be able to advise you on the availability of well-bred, working-bred pups or started/trained dogs (a better place to start than a pup in many cases).

Good luck!