BC Boards

Getting started

tinyobbc.gifFirst keep going to Obedience and learn further before getting involved with agility.In agility they need to know how to be in total control off leash,sit and stay,wait,follow my arms,follow my body movements.Plus your pup is too young right now bone struture wise and usually by 7-8 months they go through the rebellious stage which is better handeled in obedience.I usually with my dogs do competitive obedience training up to 2 years and then move on to agility.They learn how to be in full control off leash and how to read my body.Yes agility is addicting and tons of fun once you start and learn it.There is nothing more exciting then a dog running a sequence of obstacles at every command or movement you throw at them.But first get into more advanced obedience training and even try the trials and most schools will know where you can learn agility later if they don't offer it.Keep in mind all agility trials don't take dogs unless they are 1- 1 1/2 years at the earliest.Trust me,try learning competitive obedience because it's fun also and it makes you feel like a queen/king when your dog is looking up at you in awww and waiting for it's next command to please.

------------------

Country Manor Border Collies

Rogers,Mn.

763-428-8461

Thanks for the advice. I know five adult BC's, but they are all urban dogs and none compete at anything. They all mind commands so beautifully, though. I really cannot immagine Higgs, our five month old, ever getting to that point. It will seem that he has a command down pat for two weeks and then wakes up one day and stares at me like he never ever heard that before. Margo

LOL,Higgs is just a baby.I started Heather at 8 months in Beginners Obedience(the next level above puppy kindergarten) and it ran for 10 weeks.She started out stubborn,went to a shy stage and matured the night of graduation.Actually competing in Obedience is fun after you went through beginners and advance training and your competitors are fun and we all cheer each other on.Why?,,because dogs can be unpredictable,owners can make the wrong move causing an error and no one is perfect.I saw a dog at an obedience trial both days during the figure eight stop and itch(which is a fault).The second day when we all saw it do it again and the owner just laughed because hey it was a fault,what can you do,,it happens.Plus I highly recommend outside away from home training and competition because it is great for the dogs.They learn control which they won't learn at home all the time like your 5 urban dogs you know

------------------

Rogers,Mn.

763-428-8461

I do not recommend much formal obedience for agility dogs, it leads to one sided dogs and too much handler dependence. Houston is the home of USDAA agility and there are many fine agility trainers in your area. I would search the USDAA web site and look for trainer and trials in your area. Attend the trials and talk to the trainers about what they recommend for develope and early training for agility. I think it is important to find a trainer you enjoy and trust. Look at what their other students are doing and see if this is what you aspire to.

If you can not find anyone email me and I will make some recommendations of people I know from your area.

Best of luck,

Deb

You are right Deb about the obedience and the dog being one sided because Belle was that way.I just had to teach her a new command"side" to learn to work on the right side and started walking her on the right side alot using that command.She now knows heel is left side,and side is right.If I anticipate coming to some obstacles she would be better on the heel side I crossover after she has run past me to the ext obstacle.Or if coming off an obstacle on my heel side and need to, I send her on to the next and crossover behind her.I just feel basic obedience really helps for control and a total listen to me attitude.This weekend I saw dogs who aren't obedience trained,take off running out of the ring,off course and refused to come when called.One even decided after running crazy it would run into another ring already in action and ran the obstacles while another was being judged.Though it was hilarious it did show no control.Yes obedience teaches heel on one side but it also teaches tight movements and turns and watching your body language.Working on the opposite side is easy to teach.

------------------

Rogers,Mn.

763-428-8461

I am so glad i found these Boards. As some of you have probably read in my other posts i an going to get my first Border Collie in 2 or 3 months. If anyone could give me some advice about training, It would be great. I am interested in doing agility when it is old enough, and i plan to work with it a lot in order to train it well, but i dont know how much formal training i should get. Please, advise...

Yes I remember my first Border Collie and how I knew how intelligent the breed was and to be constantly teaching them.My now adults learned right away(with popcorn) at 3 months the basics like sit,lie down,stay and come.Each week we taught a new command which was rewarded with a treat(popcorn).Oh and let's not forget the famous house breaking of which I use one word association like "poddy" and "outside" every two hours.(until I go to bed).I say that as some people think they need to get up in the middle of the night which is a bad habit a pup learns to train you to.No they don't,they can hold it if you crate them after 10PM.

Keep in mind with training that the breed is not like a german shepard.Please don't use force but lots of praise and patience.Trust me I learned the hard way.Take your pup to puppy kindergarten,if offered,for socialization and basic guidance.Understand that at about 6 months for a few months they may go through a shy stage too around other dogs or training at school.Just show lots of patience and cooing and praise then,they'll get over it.My Heather started obedience school at 8 months for 10 weeks and was soooo shy you'd think I beat her when I asked for a command.At graduation she surprised us all by being grown up,and taking second place(your judged like a show at my school).Crystal was growly just from fear but many understood and helped us for weeks by approaching her.Then there is Belle who is now trying agility.She is your obedience expert(earned a CD at 1 year old and a CGC) and does cling to me but actually it's to my advantage,I work around it.She listens to my every command and can go off leash all day at a show and never leave my side.She adores me.I had built a good basic training site with tips at www.angelfire.com/bc/BARTASBORDERS to help others.But I'm sure others will give great tips here.The site is jst very basic about how Border Collies are and their behavior.I still say before agility,basic obedience must be learned so they listen to you and learn to work with you as a team.I'm no expert by all means but just say what I experience.

------------------

Rogers,Mn.

763-428-8461