BC Boards

sheep prices

KnottyClarence

Noted the previous Auction report, and figure those are fancy sheep. What is the favorite way of folks on this list to figure out how to price sheep? I look at the ASI Charts, and the USDA site, and can't quite figure how to take that info and apply it to the purchase of say, a few 3-4 year old ewes for breeding, or same aged wethers for working. Is CWT carcass weight?

I'm in Canada but the CWT is per hundred weight; so at $0.80 CWT is 80 cents/lb X ewe weight; Sheep are classified into sheep and thinner types; plus the various weights of lambs.

Prices for slaughter sheep will vary significantly from breeding stock; You can look at breeding sales, ask local friends prices etc. Prices for breeding ewes here are generally between $175/animal - $400/animal depending on flock health status, type of animals, and the information they have on the animals (ie growth rates, maternal index, terminal index etx)

Cynthia

For slaughter sales I check the various livestock markets, like New Holland, as well as some more local statistics. Here in North Carolina the NC Dept of Agriculture lists the most recent sale prices at the various livestock markets around the state. They are broken down by size and type, so you need to know what weight range you're selling for comparison.

If I'm selling breeding stock, then I would look at breeder sites and see what prices they're asking for similar sheep. The auction information listed in the other thread is for (I assume) registered breeding sheep from show stock, and that will dictate pricing as well.

J.

I always plan on paying a premium for sheep purchased directly off the farm, first I like that they have not been exposed to everything at the sale barn, second I get to speak with the producer personally.

But, also wouldn't worry to much about bringing home fat lambs, which are quite affordable right now. Currently, at the sale barn you can pick up hair ewes for between $25-$75 each, off the farm anywhere from $100-$350.

Last week 80 lb fat lambs, sold for around .87 a lb, I would not have been afraid to bring home a pen of them, real nice healthy lambs. There were some fine wool lambs, I know who raised them that sold for .75 a lb, they were 80 lbs each ($60.00 each), would have been a real nice start for someone. Those same lambs would have cost much more directly from the producer.

Prices were based on Colfax, IA sale barn last weekend.