BC Boards

inquiry: using BCs to control geese populations

Hello!

My name is Kassie, and I am the Operations Coordinator at Forest Park Forever, a not for profit organization dedicated to the preservation and restoration of Forest Park in St. Louis, MO. If you are not familiar with Forest Park, I invite you to visit our website at www.forestparkforever.org. Forest Park is one of the premiere urban parks in the United States, and our organization is dedicated to its continued excellence.

This may seem like an unusual path of inquiry, but I am researching information relating to training Border Collies to run off geese. Within the park we are having problems with a large population of geese destroying recent plantings of indigenous flora. I have heard about Border Collies used in this capacity, but would like more information if possible.

We are seeking a natural and ecologically friendly way to control the geese. Border Collies have been used by the parks department in the past, but we are trying to find information that will enable us to formalize this program, and make the use of BCs more effective in our park.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide, such as links to training sites, contact information or phone numbers, etc,.

Sincerely,

Kassie Adams

Operations Coordinator

Forest Park Forever