BC Boards

My 8 month old BC pup is too excitible

My BC pup Dymin,is too excitible and with she sees you,she jumps on me.She does this with no one else but me.It is because she is happy but sometimes she end up biting and she doesn't realise she's doing this.I have tried chaining her up,making her sit,and saying "bad dog".She gets it for a while, but the next time she sees me, sh goes nuts again.Please helpme on what to do!

Hi, Julz

I am a new border collie pup owner and haven't encountered this problem yet, but I have kept a good suggestion regarding this for future reference.

Train Dymin to sit whenver she meets someone(you coming in the door from the store, strangers approaching her to pet her...).

It should be simple.

Go outside and come inside in a minute tell her to sit, repeat this plenty. DO this everytime you come home, or someone comes over to visit. Also get a friend to come to you on the street and yard, whatever, and get to sit. She will begin to associate meeting with sit and instead of jumping up on you she will sit.

I reread this and I know this isn't the greatest explaination--in a hurry, can't rewrite it...

Hope this helps! smile.gif

Carla and Fay

Trying using hip checks and stepping into her when she jumps, telling her NO and Off. This is something that dogs understand as doggy body language. What you are doing is taking up the body space as the alpha by stepping into her......they understand this better than using your knee or making them sit. She is happy to see you, but she is also trying to claim your body space and you need to make her realize that you are the alpha and that you have control of body space by giving her a hip check and moving into her body space. Don't be surprised if she falls over backwards or yelps in surprise and please don't go....oh poor dog.

I hope this helps. smile.gif

Kathy

The problem most people have is that we've conditioned our dogs to get too worked up when we get home because we ourselves make a big scene when we walk in the door and see the cute doggy wagging it's tail. We go gush over our sweetums, dish out baby talk and all that. A simple way to start to calm the pup down is to act completely casual when you come home. If anything just greet the dog like you would a fellow co-worker in the morning, "Hey Bob, how's it going?". It'll help keep the excitement under control.

Of course it's hard wired into dogs to greet members of the 'pack' when the reunite so it's hard to keep a dog completely calm when you walk in. Just have a quick knee ready when they jump up so as to push them off and give them a "Off!". Start your basic obedience commands as well and this will help to control an excited dog. If done right a dog will learn that times of excitement are the times they must pay the closest attention to what you want.

------------------

Sabre and BC Gus

I've got a nine-month old pup who has similar problems (imagine, an excitable BC puppy!). I've trained away the jumping when he first sees me by applying the method so many of the books suggest -- ignoring him until he sits, then lavishing praise on him.

I'm also using a similar method to redirect his excitement over activities of various kinds. When I say, "do you want to go for a walk," or "do you want to go herd some sheep," he tends to jump and bark in his enthusiasm. But I don't reach for the leash until he has answered the question "how do you ask to [insert name of activity]?" by sitting down. I figure another few weeks, and I'll have that one licked.

The tough one is that he engages in the same jumping/nipping behavior that the original post describes when we start out on our walks. What I want is a smooth walk, not a sit. So I tell him "NO!" in a disapproving, but not high-volume voice, and turn on the praise when he starts walking. But I've noticed very little improvement over the course of months.

Any ideas?

------------------

-----------

Matt Davis

[This message has been edited by mmd (edited 07-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by mmd (edited 07-11-2000).]

Hi,

My trainers had me put a short rope on my BC's collar - which stayed all the time. Every time she jumped, we'd give a quick yank on the rope & say "off" in a harsh tone.

We tried the knee & pushing back - she'd just jump higher & try to get around us, knowing we'd step in to her. Depends on your dog's personality & how determined they are to get into your face.

I still have to correct for jumping - unfortunately, if the pups are allowed to do so, they'll continue as adults. We got our BC at 5 months & it's been a long road, but we've broken her of this habit by never allowing it to happen.

Now, we don't have the rope dangling anymore, but I'll give a reminder when she comes running up fast & is excited. By putting my hand down & saying "off" she calms down quickly - or jumps around away from me until she's wiggled the excitement out. LOL

Juli

The best method I have found and it broke one of my dogs in about less than 5 jumps is to grab their feet and just hold them. Most bc's will not like this and will pull and bite at your hands. Hold long enough to get their attention then let go . Repeat as neccessary. Some dogs will just passively stand there (not usually bcs) and then you can walk backwards or forwards which ever they find the most uncomfortable. I do have a young dog that I used this on and she quickly came up with 2 evasions (gotta love those bcs) one is the bounce off - She can bounce and be down before you can grab her feet. the other is to jump up but to leave her legs hanging down instead of reaching up with them - also makes it difficult to grab her feet.

I like this method because it's fairly passive and the dog jumps up - gets caught - and thinks "hey I don't like this let me go!" They will learn quickly not to jump on you so you have to get other people to do it as well and soon they say "the heck with this - what else can I come up with to drive them crazy"

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the holding the paws tightly method. The knee in the chest does't seem to be very effective or humane!!

Make sure you praise while you are holding the paws tightly, otherwise the dog might just think that approaching you causes pain. It will learn that coming to you is pleasant; but, jumping up causes pain.

When people come to visit, tell them to also hold the paws tightly and the dog will learn that jumping up is painful when done to any human (prep your friends ahead of time)!

Good-luck!!!