BC Boards

Sit/Stay in a Canoe?

Guest PrairieFire

Just a quick bit of advice...

Dogs shoulders do not work like ours - they cannot pull themselves up a bank, but need to walk up...I used to live on a houseboat and at least one dog a year drowned at the marina because people didn't pay attention and assumed since their dog was a good swimmer it was ok - never realizing the poor thing couldc't pull itself back up onto the dock it jumped off of...

So, a life jacket is a good idea even when you know she can swim...

------------------

Bill Gary

Kensmuir, Working Stockdog Center

River Falls, WI

Hi

I had a BC that we would take fresh water kayaking/canoeing and she loved it. We used a life vest at all times on her, just in case we capsized but it never happened.

I have a 5 month old pup and we took her to a nearby lake and went canoeing with her over the past weekend. It was her first time, but we only went for 20 minutes to get her use to it. 10 minutes on dry land and 10 minutes in the water. But I would never let herjump off the canoe, regardless of how much she wanted to.

I've taken my dog canoeing several times (including a 3-day river trip) and he did great. In fact, it surprised me how quiet he could be (physically - mentally he was on high alert the whole time, watching everything go by). You just have to have a solid sit or down/stay, and you said you were already working on that so you should be in good shape. I also use the "leave it" command to let him know that no matter how enticing the various critters he sees along the way are, he's not allowed to go after them. I never let him jump out of the boat except when we were safely alongside shore and I gave him the OK.

After doing so well in the canoe, I eventually invited him onto the back of my kayak (flatwater, not whitewater variety) and he rides there quite happily and has never caused me to tip over. There were a few times when he fell asleep and slid off onto the water - and gave me an incredibly dirty look when he re-surfaced!

Hi Kathleen, We took Monty on a 5 day canoe trip when he was only 6 months old, and he did really well. He has a good sit/stay and would sit at my husbands feet(at the stern) during the entire trip. Like others, we would never let him jump out of the canoe-more for our sakes than his! (he does however, jump out of the Zodiac when we give him th OK, as we paddle toward shore from our boat - and he loves it! We were really quite surprised to see how much he loves the water- Does anyone know if this is typical to this breed? I haven't read about it anywhere? Heather

• 2 weeks later...

Well, our first canoe experiment was a success!

We started out on the bank with water familiarization. Siena's okay in shallow water, but doesn't want to go in deep yet. We had a water frisbee (on a long rope) that she was supposed to chase. She'd go halfway to get it, but wouldn't take the plunge. We'll give her time to get used to it.

For the canoe part, she sat pretty well. She preferred to stand which was really okay as long as she was still. We kept her leash tied to her life jacket and kept a fairly tight reign. We'll definately do this again. Thanks for all the tips.

Siena & Kathleen.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a boating person; but, I would imagine it's not good to let your dog stand in a moving object. What if you get a faster craft and she has this habit?

Maybe she wants something softer to sit on. You could get a piece of foamy for your next trip and see if that helps.... But, maybe she just wants a better view of the scenery.