BC Boards

How should I teach my BC

Hi David

It is never too late to start training your dog, however it is a fairly large issue to cover in just one message. I have written my own training tips which may not be everyones style, but they worked for me. The address is http://www.geocities.com/darlingbud_99/training.html

I'm still writing the 'down' page. It is mainly written with the puppy in mind, but it should be just as helpful to anyone wanting to know just a few basics for starting off.

If there is an obedience class in your area, pop along and enrol. These classes can really help you bond even more with your dog.

If you haven't done anything with your dog yet, then I strongly suggest the first thing you work on is the 'come when called'

Regards, Val and the girls

There's a gazillion books out there with training methods for the basic stuff you describe. A really awesome book to read is 'How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend' by the Monks of New Skete. It outlines basic training which includes all that you asked about but it also goes in depth into how much of this develops a relationship between a dog and man (or woman). The insight really helps you appreciate the bond between dogs and their owners, makes you a better dog owner and helps your dog to be a better member of your family.

They have another book called 'The Art of Raising a Puppy' that is similar but geared towards those with young dogs. I would strongly suggest going out and buying one of those books rather than just going through a cookbook recipe training procedure for the specific commands. You and your dog would get soooo much more out of it.

Good Luck

------------------

Sabre and BC Gus

There's a gazillion books out there with training methods for the basic stuff you describe. A really awesome book to read is 'How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend' by the Monks of New Skete. It outlines basic training which includes all that you asked about but it also goes in depth into how much of this develops a relationship between a dog and man (or woman). The insight really helps you appreciate the bond between dogs and their owners, makes you a better dog owner and helps your dog to be a better member of your family.

They have another book called 'The Art of Raising a Puppy' that is similar but geared towards those with young dogs. I would strongly suggest going out and buying one of those books rather than just going through a cookbook recipe training procedure for the specific commands. You and your dog would get soooo much more out of it.

Good Luck

------------------

Sabre and BC Gus