BC Boards

Chewing...

I have 3 Border Collie Puppies. All 3 are mixed.. But they are very obviously border collie by the way they act and look. The biggest problem we are having now is the chewing. My 4 month old wants to chew on shoes... He goes so far is to get on tables for them. He wont eat people food at all but watch out leather. Any ideas? I don't want to have to lock them up for ever..

------------------

Chevygal72

Nikki

does the pup have access to LOTS of chew toys?? I always redirected Dakota to safe chew toys. I also got him a kong toy right away, I stuffed it with some of his puppy food mixed with gravy! He has to work like crazy to get the food out, it is a fun way for your pup to chew something appropriate.

One other thing that may be just my puppy, but he loves this little plastic bowl. We have hard wood floors, so the bowl slides easily everywhere, he will herd that darn bowl all over the house! he picks it up, throws it, growls at it and then pushes it all over the floor! It was quite by accident that we found this wonderful toy. I also sometimes put the bowl upside down with a small peice of cheese in it, and he has to figure out how to get the cheese.

I guess you need to keep on top of the pup and make sure you always direct him to what he CAN chew on. We bought many kinds of chew things in many different stayles and textures. His favorite besides the bowl is a little purple monster we got from dogtoys.com. I makes a wrinkly noise, and a squeaky noise and it has a rattle in it. He loves it!

So grab a kong, a small bowl and show him how much fun it is, and a few other nice fun toys. Take your pup shopping, our dogs are allowed in the pet store, so he gets to shop for his own toys. He also likes the duck that makes the "quacking" noise.

Thanks Zebbie,

I did get them all kinds of chew toys. Every Nyla-bone that is out. They have sqeeky toys and the favorite for my 4 month old is plastic bottles.

My husband and I both work so we aren't home from about 8 to 4.. He doesn't chew on anything else except shoes and ballcaps.. I'm not sure what the fasination is but there is one. I will try that others that you mentioned though. For me now anything is cheaper then repacing $75.00 Nikes all the time...

------------------

Chevygal72

Nikki

I also wanted to mention pigs ears! I think the smell drives them crazy. Probably the puppy likes the smell of shoes! If you could somehow sweat on his other toys, or get yout scent on them.....that sounded weird didnt it. But I do think they like the smell. Dakota goes wild for pigs ears and kong toys!

Good idea... Didn't think about that.. LOL and yes I have to say that sounded funny.. But I guess i start to wear his toys to work.

LOL.... But again that is a good idea, maybe i can wrap it up in my clothes for a bit. I dont' know i will think of something. I will have to try that. And pig ears I haven't tried those. I got away from them cause they smell nasty. But I will go by some. Thanks again.. You are a big help with this multipule problem. Now ifI could get my puppies stool to solidify I would be soooooo happy..

------------------

Chevygal72

Nikki

• 2 weeks later...

I did some research when Anya was young and found that especially when you have to leave a pup alone for long periods of time they need something that smells like their owner to console them. They said not to give them a pair of shoes, but we did end up giving Anya an old pair of our shoes. I was leary at first because of what I've read, (the bc is so smart) so we told Anya that was the only pair she could have and we had no trouble after that. When she was little and she was tempted to stray we told her to go get her shoe and she would. Her shoe is still in her toy box, even though she doesn't chew on it much anymore. When she does get frustrated over something she will still get it out and chew on it.

I've always wondered what this meant about the owner?

You may try to confine the pups to 1 room while you're gone. They are only just beginning. I've had my deck, shoes, wires, chords, toys, trees, tennis net, baseball bats, etc... chewed to pieces. ALL before 8 months of age. And the chew toys/bones? All buried & hidden. Never chewed. So now I buy the Hercules sized bones that are too big for her to pick up. It worked! She also like "The Buster Cube". The dog has to roll it around & work on it to get their food out. Keeps them busy so they're not getting into trouble.

AS long as you have a good sense of humor about it - read some of these stories on this site. I think they're hilarious - because it didn't happen to me. smile.gifhttp://www.bcrescue.org/bchorror.html

Juli

Thank ya'll.

Things are getting better.. Thank you for all your help. I wnet out and bought some pic ears & feet. They love them but all they want is to take them outside. They are spread everywhere. But they are doing alot better, We started restricting the 4 month old when he chews something up in the house while we are gone the next day he isn't able to roam the house freely. His is restricted to his room. Then next day we try again if he does good he stays out if he doesn't then he goes in his room. Its startying to work i think. He isn't chewing as much. So thanks to ya'll and your wonderful ideas, i have encorporated into my life. It has helped alot. Anything else please feel free to let me know. I'll keep trying anything.