BC Boards

I got my pup into flyball

he can do the very low jumps no problem, and he is training to use the box. He doesnt use the box yet, he uses a mock face with a tennis ball attached by velcro. Evetually they will put the face on the box. He loves it and seems to watch the other dogs with fascination. We get to watch the experienced dogs first then train with the pup. He does seem to get tired fast, is this common in a 5 month old pup??

• 4 weeks later...

-Zebbie

Personally I would not start flyball with a pup that young. They are still growing and they wear out easily, heat exaustion is a common thing. But useing a sort-of immatation box is good because if you use the usual one for a prolonged amout of time may hurt the pup in the long run. Don't want a lame dog in the future. I suggest waiting a while to do flyball in the competition sence.

You are doing good by using low, low jumps. I suggest training the pup to catch a ball in mid-air and hiting something to get the ball (i use a pellow. They hit it and they catch the ball when you drop it. The pellow thing work quite well actually)

Bc's can't tell themselves No thats why they get hurt. Be carful and play safe. Have fun with flyball.

Regards, Lindsey and Gemma!

[This message has been edited by Gemma (edited 06-10-2000).]