BC Boards

Lunging at cars

Welcome!

First I would suggest you use the "search" function and check out the many topics that have dealt with this issue (and at least one was very recent). Then, if you don't find answers to your problem, be specific in asking (you might try the General section for this question as it's not just a matter of obedience.

I am sure you will get a lot of helpful information. Since he's just started, you've done right to ask for help now before this becomes an ingrained and dangerous habit.

Best wishes!

Hi,

My female is 8 months old. Where I live there are not many cars, only the ones coming into the driveway.

When she was about 5 to 6 months old I started making her sit when the vehicle approached or left.

She did it (as border collies are fast learners).

At seven months she thought she new better than me and would run when they approached or left ( never getting to close.)

This was not acceptable so I took her out (busy area with cars) post-13260-050979000 1335557172_thumb.jpgon a short leash and every time a car came by I gave a command with my hand and she sat until the car left and then we continued with our walk.

This took about 3 times ina a row and she has not forgotten.

Good Luck.

Thank you for your response! I will practice with him...he is starting the rebellious "teen" stage and is testing limits..like forgetting "come", drop it, etc..lol

Best

Chris

Hi,

My female is 8 months old. Where I live there are not many cars, only the ones coming into the driveway.

When she was about 5 to 6 months old I started making her sit when the vehicle approached or left.

She did it (as border collies are fast learners).

At seven months she thought she new better than me and would run when they approached or left ( never getting to close.)

This was not acceptable so I took her out (busy area with cars) post-13260-050979000 1335557172_thumb.jpgon a short leash and every time a car came by I gave a command with my hand and she sat until the car left and then we continued with our walk.

This took about 3 times ina a row and she has not forgotten.

Good Luck.