BC Boards

infant puppy deaths

geonni banner

When I was young I was a big fan of Albert Payson Terhune's Collie stories and I've been reading them again lately for some silly reason.

Though he was talking about Lassie Collies, not Border Collies, he mentions something that happens with very young Collie pups, and since Collies are mostly descended from Border Collies, I'm wondering about it. APT is forever going on about how Collie pups are either the easiest or the hardest to raise, and that for some reason there will be what he calls "squeakers" in a litter of Collies - that is pups that stop nursing, start crying and then die.

I've never heard Collie breeders mention this phenomenon, and I've never heard anyone here say anything about this with Border Collies. Is this just another of APT's fantasies". (Like the notion that "most" show Collies can become excellent stock dogs.) or is there some basis in fact for his assertions re "squeakers"?

These books were written in the first half of the 20th century, so I suppose it could be something that is easily prevented by modern veterinary care for the brood bitch nowadays, or something that has been bred out of Collies - if it ever existed.

When I was young I was a big fan of Albert Payson Terhune's Collie stories and I've been reading them again lately for some silly reason.

Though he was talking about Lassie Collies, not Border Collies, he mentions something that happens with very young Collie pups, and since Collies are mostly descended from Border Collies, I'm wondering about it. APT is forever going on about how Collie pups are either the easiest or the hardest to raise, and that for some reason there will be what he calls "squeakers" in a litter of Collies - that is pups that stop nursing, start crying and then die.

I've never heard Collie breeders mention this phenomenon, and I've never heard anyone here say anything about this with Border Collies. Is this just another of APT's fantasies". (Like the notion that "most" show Collies can become excellent stock dogs.) or is there some basis in fact for his assertions re "squeakers"?

These books were written in the first half of the 20th century, so I suppose it could be something that is easily prevented by modern veterinary care for the brood bitch nowadays, or something that has been bred out of Collies - if it ever existed.

I'm not a vet nor do I play one on TV :@) ... but I wonder if it was Cleft Palate?

I LOVED Albert Payson Terhune's books ... that and the Black Stallion ones kept me occupied for hours!

Archived