BC Boards

Orthabunyavirus

Indira

Good morning,

how familiar are you with the Orthabunyavirus?

Do you have experience with it?

I am interested in how other farmers in other countries deal with it.

I had never heard of Orthobunyavirus until now, so I'm no help with your questions, but I did get to learn something new. Even had to brush off my genetics knowledge.

The virus is apparently spread through biting insects, which we have very few of in the coastal northwest US, so maybe it's not a big concern in this area.

The only virus of this type that I am aware of is cache valley virus, which is a bunyavirus. It was originally named for the Cache Valley in CA where it was first observed. However, I am aware of cases in the pacific northwest, midwest and the east.

An infected mosquito must bite a pregnant ewe during early gestation, generally before day 45. The result is weak and/or aborted lambs. Entire lambs crops have been affected.

The only steps that I know to take is to time breeding season away from heavy mosquito infestations.

Gail

Before day 45? This is interesting.

The virus is calling Schmallenbergvirus.

In the deep South we are not yet affected but years ago we was the latest who got the Bluetongue but we got it. Shortly before the vaccination came. :(

Here is a link written in English:

http://www.nfuonline.com/News/Vigilance-urged-on-Schmallenberg-virus/

Thanks for the link. Sounds like there is still alot of research to do on this new virus. So many diseases and viruses out there. I have often thought that if I read about some of the potential diseases and viruses before I got sheep, I would have been afraid to get them.

Bluetongue is in some areas of the US and some people vaccinate for it. I have never seen it though.

gail

Yes, too many viruses out there....

I don't like to pump in drugs into my livestock but I vaccinate against Bluetongue, too. 4 (or already 5 ?) years ago I lost 75 % of my flock because there was still no vaccine.

With Schmallenberg it is just as bad I think. Niedersachsen, Hessen and Nordrhein-Westfalen are allready affected and the first shepherd made suicide because he lost nearly all lambs and thereby his lifelihood.

Archived