BC Boards

Paying attention

My puppy is not quite 5 months old, I got her at 10 wks. She is a great puppy, but I'm frustrated. I just enrolled her in obedience classes and I don't know if it's me or if it's her, but she doesn't listen. She listens to me most of the time when we are alone, but if there's other people or dogs, Watch Out! In class, they say to give treats, but Lexi goes wild, one would think I never feed her so I don't want to give her treats during class because after getting the treats she just sniffs for more instead of listening to me. I want to be a good owner and I want her to start listening to me. She has a sweet disposition, but is very hyper like most BC. Does anyone have any suggestions for me. I wanted to eventually enroll her in agility, but if I can't get pass sit, that won't happen. Please give me any suggestions.

Danielda-

Be patient! I have an 11 month old BC - Katy - at 5 months she was the same way - great when we were alone, and like a wild animal when other people or animals were around! with a LOT of work she has settled down, and is doing agility and obediance simultaneously. It really helps to work her on both at the same time, and she really enjoys it. Se if you can find a beginners agility class in your area and talk to the trainer. Good luck - let me know how you do!

Give it time,she's still in a very juvenile stage with a short atttention span.I never take my dogs to school until they are 10 months or so because they are mentally more mature and want to pay attention and learn more.Yours is still a baby.Hang in there,you are just starting out.Go slow,give lots of praise and happy talk instead of treats.She'll come around

Your BC is still really young, We didnt start ours in obedience until he was 4 months old and agility came at 13 months. The dogs can't compete in agility until they are 18 months old(after their growing has basically stopped) so you have lots of time. Dont rush. You'll do fine. Heather

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that your pup is a little young, however you can always start teaching attention, using a favorite toy or treat to initially gain her attention and then praising. You start with gaining the attention and then work towards keeping it. I train this by putting the dog on leash and have it sitting in heel position by my side. I use a toy or treat plus the word "watch" to gain the attention and at first hold it for just a couple of seconds. Gradually stretch the time out until the dog is watching you without looking away for up to a minute. If the dog looks away, give a leash correction and say "no, watch" and when the attention has returned, praise.

I second what Janet in WA just said. Treat training has worked great for me. I have a not quite 6 month old pup and we just came home from obedience class, where we got complimented by the instructor for the pup paying attention. This is a direct result of treat training - she watches my face and hands like a hawk. In fact the instructor had us demonstrate the recall (my pup does it eagerly with eyes on my face) and told the class "this is what treats can do for you". Give out treats liberally while teaching the dog what you want it to do, BUT once s/he understands the command, start paying off like a slot machine - so the dog never knows if this is the time it'll get treated or not. Toys work too if your dog is really motivated by play. Eventually you can fade out the treat or toy, after the behavior is well established - but until then, this is a good way to make training fun for a young dog!