BC Boards

Dog Bite

I have a seven month old BC. She is an aggressive dog and on occasions bites myself when handled (loading and unloading from car for example). This past weekend she bit my four-year-old daughter on two separate occasions. The first and most severe bite occurred on my daughter's face. The bite did not break the skin, but it left a raised mark. This was not a "nip" but rather an aggressive bite.

My wife is very concerned and wants the dog removed from our family. I am heart-broken because we've had the dog since she was 6 weeks old and I've become very attached. For the most part she is a well-behaved dog. I have put lots of time and energy into working with the dog and feel defeated. I have two questions for the forum.

1. What can be done to stop this behavior?

2. Is it reasonable to keep this pet in my family?

Guest Dynamite Tess

I must start off by saying that I am no expert on aggresive dogs, but I am speaking purely as a BC owner and a mother. I personally feel that all the good people who contribute to this board can give you sound advice, and help you so far, but you also need the help of a canine behavourist, and quickly before your dog savages your daughter's face. If you don't, your daughter risks being scarred for life both mentally and physically and your BC will end up being put to sleep. I appreciate that you have put a lot of time and effort in working your dog, but you say she even bites you. I wouldn't be happy with that. Personally, I feel this is a big issue, too large to cover in one message. You need an expert in their field with you, to work with you and your dog. Regards, Val

I am certainly no expert on aggressive dogs either...I do agree with Val you must do something about this for the sake of your daughter!!! I was in a pet store one day with Lady and this woman just like totally went ballistic being afraid of my gentle sweet Lady!! I asked her what was wrong and she told me she was terrified of Border Collie's because as a child a BC bit her face and I then noticed a horrid scar from her lip to her nose!! I was somewhat shocked as this was the first person I ever saw react that way to Lady..I immediately had my husband take Lady out of the store for which this Lady was quite grateful. So you see as Val said it can leave a scar physically and emotionally. Susan

Gosh I don't know what has happend to good old fashioned disipline. When my dog was a pup she was very exuberant and knocked two of my grand children flat in succesion. What did I do? I didn't look for a animail behaviorist. I picked her up by the scruff of the neck, and scolding her all the way threw her ass out the back door. Did she learn? You bet! If one of my dogs ever bit me or anyone else, believe you me they would quickly learn that that's was not the right thing to do! No animal behaviorist needed! Maybe we can be our own best teachers! Don't get me wrong I'm not an animal abuser, but on the same score I believe the animal needs to be taught in no uncertain terms that IT is not the head cheese and needs to respect the rights of others not matter the species. The same goes with our own species.

So we all have been taught in recent years that a dog is a memeber of a pack and that we are to teach said dog to respect the pack leader. Well let's get real. If said wolf cub ever attempted to attack the alpha wolves, what would be the out come? You got it.

Guest Dynamite Tess

I agree with you Patricia that immediate action is required, however when I wrote my message I assumed that this owner had already tried that and it wasn?t working. I appreciate he doesn?t mention any form of discipline taken at the time, but I can?t see any person in their right mind standing coldly by while their daughter gets bitten in the face, or ignoring a bitten hand. Although possibly not the answer to every problem there is no doubt that a lot of owners and dogs are helped by canine behaviourist when all else fails. I?m glad you have no need of one, and I do respect everyone has the right to voice an opinion but I do feel it unfair to dismiss another message poster?s suggestion. I apologise now if that was not your intention, but I?m afraid that?s how it read to me. Regards, Val

I agree with Val that I also assumed the owner had tried that. I also hope we have become somewhat more "educate" about dogs and their behaviour. I believe in "old fashioned discipline as well however I also believe in using resources available to us in this day and age. My Father knew alot about animals and their behavior however, not having available to him the research etc of this day and age has shot many a good dog for fighting, biting etc. His knowledge was limited and he could not have "out of control" dogs around his stock. I just wonder how many a good dog met a untimely demise due to his lack of resources?? I really believe in dog behaviorist as well as dog psychology. I have a BS is Psychology myself and when Lady's first Daddy died I noted the same signs of depression in her ie. not eating, agitation etc that we humans experience. My Dad would probably be laughing in his grave to hear me speak of a depressed doggie. I also used some of the same techniques with her as I would use for a human ie. walks, lots of attention and understanding and allowed her time to heal and go through her own grief process!!

Just as humans act inappropriately due to some sort of dysfunction, trauma, fear etc. I also believe at times animals "act out" for the same reasons. I know some of you will thing I am way out there however this is my belief and I have seen it work with my own dog...Susan & Lady