BC Boards

getting speed

hi, I have an 18 month BC and have been training for 6 months now. We are going in our first trial in a few weeks. He is very accurate at the obstacles, but he does not seem very enthusiastic and I need to get his speed up- does this come with age, or does anyone have any good tips- I,ve tried coaxing with toys, food etc, but I seem to be more excited about doing it than he does? any ideas?

about the first 15 minutes or so of

Guest Dynamite Tess

If the trial you are talking about is an Agility one then I have to say don't rush your dog. Safety is of the utmost importance. I have been doing agility for 18 months and my dog has only just started to quicken up. It is no good racing round until both you and your dog have all your sigals sorted out. Many a slow dog has got a clear round. Speed doesn't always gaurantee a win. Concentrate on contact points and take this sport at your dog's pace for the time being. When it's ready to go faster it will. Good luck, Regards, Val

Guest Dynamite Tess

Thank you Heather. I would just like to add that the slower your dog is in the early days the more chance you have of getting everything right. It means you can get to the end of the dog walk to ensure he gets those contacts right. A woman in my class has a lurcher and it has been fast from day one. The woman still goes round the ring in a panic trying to keep up with her dog. Good luck in the trial. Please let me know how you get on. In three hours from now my club is doing an agility display at a Summer Fayre. It's only for fun but boy, is my tummy churning over. Regards, Val

PS if you signed my guest book on the web site, I'm afraid I won't be able to view yet as for some reason the site maker is telling me I don't have any entries, and I know I have.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Val, just wanted to let you know that we survived the trial this past weekend. Monty was relaxed and I was a ball of nerves. We both learned the things we can do and the things we need to work on. Hope your fun trial goes well. Heather

Guest Dynamite Tess

Hi Heather

Thanks for letting me know how you got on. Yes, there's nothing quite like those agility nerves. My first competition was a riot. I went round the course in a blind panic. What made it worse was, when I'd finished a woman came up to me and said 'Well, I've been doing agility for ten years now...and I still get those awful nerves before we start'. Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. My display day was brilliant and all the dogs were sweethearts. Regards, Val