BC Boards

New to this

Hello everyone. I have an 11 month old Border Collie and I am interested in starting agility training. We live in the NW Chicago suburbs and I am hoping to find someone to contact. I am very excited to find you and 'Cohiba' will be even happier.

Tami

Welcome....I do not do agility but wanted to welcome you to our group, shall we call it..you need to read all of Dynamite Tess's entry's and hook up with Tess...TESS RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tess's biggest fans in TEXAS Susan and Lady

P.S. Go back as many days as you can on your computer and read Tess's entries it will be a great start...

Guest Dynamite Tess

Hi Tami,

I have been doing Agility here in England with one of my girls for about 18 months now. My husband works my other girl and has been doing so for just over a year. I have to admit that this sport isn't as easy as it looks and Tess does have her own rules. We started entering competitions last October just for the experience and in February, much to everyone's surprise Tess got a clear round and a 24th placing. Cohiba is just the right age for starting agility, so if you haven't already done so I would get your name down on a waiting list. Of course you may not need to in America, but over here a good club can have anything up to a 2 year waiting list. Despite the miles between us it would be great to discuss this sport with someone else and discover if there is much of a difference between the two countries. Good luck, keep your sense of humour and please let us know how you get on. Regards, Val

PS Susan, you really are a sweet person. Thank you for all the nice things you say. Netscape keep losing my homepage.

I began running my Briard in agility a little over a year ago. She loves it. My bc will start this fall. One suggestion - make sure your pup is well trained and handles obediance commands very well before you start. If they understand the basics of sit, stay and heel before you start, training is much easier and much less frustrating for both you and the dog. Also, find someone whose training style is similar to your own. I began working with a trainer who used only food motivation for her dogs and my girl just didn't care about food. You want a trainer who will protect your dog knowing his/her limits and at the same time push hard enough to keep agility fun. For example, you don't want to jump very high while their bones are still developing. Good Luck with your training!

Guest Dynamite Tess

I agree with Liberty. My girls had had at least one year of obedience before they started on agility. However I must admit I did have a few problems when I wanted to work with Tess on my right side as she was accustomed to working on the left. It didn't take long to overcome it though. Also Liberty is right in mentioning the dog's bones and pushing too much while they are still developing. In England dogs are allowed to train in a club once they are a year old. Being so accustomed to waiting lists I assumed that Cohiba would have to go on one thus being at least a year when you started. To help my dogs keep supple for this sport I put cod liver oil on their meal. Your dog gets the bonus of a nice glossy coat. Regards, Val

Guest Dynamite Tess

Tami, I have just been browsing the net and came across a site which may be of some help to you.

www.agilityshop.com

There is a list there for people wanting to start agility who need to find a club

Regards, Val

Guest Dynamite Tess

You are most welcome Annie. I'm glad the site may prove helpful. Living in England it's difficult for me to help with clubs etc in America and other countries around the world, so I try to do my bit by passing on sites I've found. I hope you and Wizzer [sorry I think there should be an 'h' in there] thoroughly enjoy agility when you start. Me and my girls are giving a demonstration at a Summer Fayre here on Saturday. If nothing else we should provide a laugh. Regards, Val

Thank you everyone for the information. I think we will have to develop Cohiba's obedience a bit more before we start anything serious. He is SO smart and I know he will do well. He knows the basics already. I'll keep you posted on his progress.