BC Boards

Aggression

When ever I take my dog to a agility show, obedience show or even to practice he tries to bite every dog in site. A lady who I have now hired to help me train Grizz my BC in agliity, said it was probably just him going through puberty. Seeing in how he is two years of age and not neutured. I really love my dog but it is sort of embarassing when your dogs lunges at every other dog in site.

P.S. He is really good in the ring. Pays really good attention and doesn't pay much attention to other dogs then. However he can smell a females pee from miles away and will sniff it for hours even if he is in the ring.

DO ANY OF YOU KNOW HOW TO HELP ME WITH MY PROBLEM!

*THANK YOU*

Guest Dynamite Tess

The only thing I can suggest is that you get him neutured. At agility shows, or any for that matter, you will sometimes get the occasional handler who brings along a bitch in season. Then, he may just not focus on what he should be doing inside the ring. At my dog club a person has just joined who has an un-neutured ex stud lab. He is actually attacking other dogs in the class and his training is being hindered as his owner is now too terrified to let him off the leash. My dogs are female but even they occasionally lunge out at other dogs at Agility shows, simply through excitement, but to the owner these lunges can be worrying and effect your performance inside the ring. If you get your dog neutured it will calm his aggression and you will be more comfortable at these shows. Good luck and may you and your dog win many prizes. Regards, Val

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar problem, only my 2y.o.Colby has been neutered. It is very embarrasing and makes it difficult to bring him into the ring with or out for playtime when other dogs are there. Since he's already been snipped, now what???

Guest Dynamite Tess

When your Colby is doing something you don't like do you verbally correct him? Yesterday evening I was out walking my girls when we passed a woman with an agressive, snapping and snarling terrier. It was a real viscious little so 'n' so. As we passed she held the dog back cooing to it 'don't do that, there's a good boy'. Now, I may be wrong, but that sounded a lot like praise to me. And, of course the dog carried on doing it. The more he did it, the more she spoke to him. I've done it myself in the past and regretted it. Tess sat quietly while another border collie walked past her. Pleased with her I immediately exclaimed 'Oh you good girl!'. My trainer said to me. I wouldn't do that if I was you, you don't know what she's thinking. No sooner had she said that, Tess lunged. She was obviously thinking 'shall I go for that dog or not?', and my praising her basically gave her permission to do it. To be honest I'm still working this one out for myself. I have noticed that bc's are little horrors for eyeballing, and winding each other up when on leashes and it is usually another bc my Tess will lunge at. Off leash she will run and play nicely with them. At present I am arming myself with a spray bottle of bitter apples. She lunges, I spray. If I forget my bottle I make sure I have a treat in my hand, then when a likely victim walks by I distract Tess with a sit or down command and reward with the treat. I'm sorry I can't be of further help to you. Regards, Val

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dynamite Tess

Rebecca

Your e-mail arrived 9 days after the date said you sent it. I do hope you haven't been thinking I've not bothered responding, because I would never ignore a letter from anyone. I sent a reply at midnight 22nd/23rd July. Hopefully it will reach you shortly. I am posting this just in case my e-mail takes just as long to reach you. I want you to know that I have responded. Regards, Val

I wanted to ask Cera20 some questions. I have worked with rescue BC's some and lots of other breeds as well. There have been some common denominators to the problem you are talking about. Let me hit on a few...constricting movement by chaining or tie-out line, lack of socialization with other dogs at an early age, incorrect use of choke and/or prong collars, consistent punishment in the presence of other dogs, (the fact the dog is not nuetered could be the first and foremost factor), domineering bossy personality (very common in the BC),

or any combination of the above, and there are more. I have a BC that doesn't LIKE other dogs, but she can learn to get along. Read a book called, "Dogs are from Neptune" by Jean Donaldson. She talks about this in her book. HOPE THIS HELPS!!