BC Boards

Really BIG outrun

Billsmom

I live out here on the Llano Estacado, and I was wondering if anybody else deals with anything similar. My young 13 month old pup, who is doing some nice 100 yard outruns, will on occasion lock onto a train moving about 2.5 miles away. Trying to get him to look for his sheep is a pain, as he is sure that the movement he sees IS the sheep. I try to send him with the train at our back, or make sure that there is no train, but now and then I blow it! He downs nice, so I can stop him, but one time my husband took him out to the field and the pup thought he had been sent on an outrun and took off. By the time I got out the door he was over 1/4 mile out and across the county(dirt) road! He's got a big heart, and eagle eyes!

It's a real pain getting Cord focused on the sheep at hand sometimes rather than scoping out the whole farm (which was, up to now, largely unfenced) for sheep. It's been his main job since arrival to gather them up from wherever they are. I think it's much more rewarding for him to do the long outruns since I don't interfere with him. I'm really thankful that by later today it looks like we'll have a 3 1/2 acre field fenced where we can set up something between "way out there" and right at hand, to work on his manners lifting sheep nicely and bringing them at a sane pace. :rolleyes: