BC Boards

Tie-out chain

Since we are going to watch a trial this Saturday AND since I have been told that I really need tie-out chains (not to tie out the dogs while at home, but while watching trials) How long should they be? I am thinking not long enough to get tangled, but long enough to move? About 4 feet? ( I will be "donating" my lunch hour to the cause and run to the hardware store to get the needed items ;) )

Suggestions please :)

Why were you told you need tie out chains? Are you planning to tie the dogs to your vehicle while you watch the trial? If the dogs would be crated or with you on leash, then you don't really need a tie out chain. If it's super hot and you don't feel you can safely crate the dogs in the vehicle when you don't want to hold on to them, you could consider a small pop-up shade tent, or shade screens and fans or something similar.

The only time I use a tie-out chain (actually a coated cable) is if I'm working dogs at home and want to tie others nearby so I don't have to go far to get the next one I want to work. At trials, you will see dogs chained to campers and vehicles, but I don't think tie-out chains are a must, especially for spectators.

J.

Hi Julie :)

I do have crate for them in the car of course I also have shadecloth to put over the windows. I thought it would be nice for them to be out of the crates for a few minutes every hour. We will be having them on leash with us, or I should say we will try, I don't know if they are going to laydown beside us since this is our first trial together. I really do not want to disturb any of the runs with any puppy anitcs :rolleyes:

My tie-out chains are about 5' long, which is long enough for them to move around, scoot under the van, etc. but not long enough to get too tangled. I made them with chains and fasteners from the hardware store.

I rarely tie mine out, though - they are crated in the van at trials (well, not Lou, Lou is mostly hanging in the handler's tent or the concession because Lou is a king). Lou and Rex are used to being on tie-outs but Wick is not, and I sure wouldn't just pop her on a chain and leave her. I think it's important to get them used to being tied to the vehicle/camper/whatever so they don't panic or cause a nuisance.

If you're going to be crating in the car and you want them to stretch their legs every now and then, I would say just take 'em for a walk on leash. Alternatively, you could set up an ex-pen if you think they will be quiet and won't try to escape.

If you make up chains be sure that the snaps swivel freely so that if the dog turns the chain does not get bound up. Someone we know just lost a really good dog due to a stuck swivel, it only takes 15 minutes or less for a dog to turn and turn and end up choked down, especially if they are in a new exciting environment. Had it happen here during a clinic, luckily we were right there and caught it before the dog choked out.

It would be my advice to stick with crates for your first time at a trial unless your dogs are accustomed to being tied out at home or while training already.

Thanks Kristi

I do have an x-pen, but I am really not sure that they would not escape and "help" :rolleyes: the dog that running at that moment. Also, I think 1 by her/him self might be okay, but when you put the 2 of them together its a whole other thing (yes Elsie, I am talking about you :huh: ) :D

Oh, before I forget Elsie's littermate "Meg" will be a spectator at the trail also

I will probably end up leaving them in their crate, but taking them out every so often to see how they do and to stretch their legs :)

I am really hoping that a couple of "Big Hats" will run since its pretty much on the way to Strang and the Nationals. That would really really be fab :lol::P:lol:

If you make up chains be sure that the snaps swivel freely so that if the dog turns the chain does not get bound up. Someone we know just lost a really good dog due to a stuck swivel, it only takes 15 minutes or less for a dog to turn and turn and end up choked down, especially if they are in a new exciting environment. Had it happen here during a clinic, luckily we were right there and caught it before the dog choked out.

It would be my advice to stick with crates for your first time at a trial unless your dogs are accustomed to being tied out at home or while training already.

Thanks Debbie, With all this good advice I think I will go the crate/take out on leash route :)I will start teaching being on a tie-out at home.

Oh, Debie, had a wonderful time watching the Cattle Dog Nationals on the tube the other night :D Super Job :D:D:D

I agree that crating is best.

I was just at a trial over labor day weekend and my dogs were in their crates in the car with the windows and hatch wide open. Every hour or two I would walk back to the car and let them out for a walk or run in the dog exercise field. They seemed quite content. :) Oh, and I do leave water for them in the crates too.

Have fun!

I use a 5 foot tie out chain. If I am traveling, some are loose in the trailer and others in the boxes. If it is too hot, then I chain them. Make sure the swivels are at each end and the dogs can not reach each other or they might tangled up.

If I am hanging out at my traier, they are loose and they know to hang around me.

At home when I am training, they all get chained up.

Archived