BC Boards

Work in exchange for training?

Maralynn

Ugh this is hard. I kinda stumbled through the whole sheepdog thing with Miss. We made it work or rather she did.

I've hardly worked with the other two because I didn't need to and I need help to get them started. Kipp is a firecraker and Kenzi is interested but excitable. I'm kind of lost now without a chore partner.

Driving for lessons right now is about 5 hours of driving RT. And since my dogs are just starting it's drive 2.5 hours, work dogs for 20 minutes then drive 2.5 hours home. Sigh.

Honestly I'd love to go somewhere where I could spend a few days and get multiple training sessions in with both dogs. Money is tight, but I'm reasonably proficient in farm/sheep work and willing to tackle just about any job. So while I couldn't pay much, I could work in exchange.

So anyone out there be interested in farm help in exchange for stockdog lessons? Or if you want a different type of incentive I'm also a knitter. Hand knit socks? sweater? something else?

ETA - I'm in southern MI, but willing to travel. It already pretty much takes half a day's worth of time/travel to get a lesson.

It would be worth mentioning what area you live in or does everyone know - apart from me?

Mara,

I should think there would be people who are willing to exchange work for lessons over a weekend. I've exchanged lessons or dog work in exchange for help, most recently help with fencing. But trimming feet, tagging and banding (at lambing time), help with putting up hay are all things I'd imagine people would be willing to barter. The hard part will be finding someone who has enough work to make it worthwile, and with fall coming, trialing season will also get pretty busy. Speaking of trialing, I wonder if you could work out farm sitting in exchange for lessons. Maybe you go early for lessons, farm sit and stay an extra day for more lessons before heading home. That's something I'd take someone I knew and trusted up on in a heartbeat!

J.

Guest herbertholmes

We have done that sort of thing in the past,, willing to do it again. I believe you need to to spend at least two weeks if coming this far, Herbert Holmes, Sanderson Texas

Archived