BC Boards

New member starting on ducks

Hi - We are new to this board, and new to herding. I am fortunate that my training club has a very active herding group. Four members actually keep livestock and we can go train with them weekly during the season. Because I have osteoporosis, I have been advised not to go in the field with sheep, so have elected to herd ducks, which probably pose no risk to me! We have been three times now, with the trainer actually handling Ruby. The second and third times she had me in the pen with them, so I can get a handle on what she is doing and when. Last night Ruby came off the fence for the first time and circled the ducks in the center of the pen. We are just working her on three ducks right now for a short time, as she is young (just a year) and we don't want to push her too much. She is also a bit soft. The trainer has had soft dogs herself, recognized Ruby's comfort level for corrections, and adjusted her style immediately. After reading a bit, I feel very fortunate to know this group of people. Both this trainer, and a very experienced BC handler/trialer friend have said that it would be better if Ruby could start off with sheep, as ducks are such flighty things (pun intended) and will excite her even more. Because of her age, she tends to get extremely excited by life at first. It takes a few minutes for her brain to kick in! The trainer tells me next week she will have me handle Ruby on a long line and work on flight distance. Ruby is better and more responsive off lead, so I am hoping the long line doesn't cause frustration. She gets more excited and frustrated if she is on lead, so she has been working off lead since halfway through the first session. I don't think I know enough yet to ask good questions, but if anyone has any advice/moral support it would be appreciated!

Kathy Robbins

Welcome Kathy! Is it possible for your trainer to start Ruby on sheep (you say several members have stock--do any have sheep)? You may not be able to work sheep because of your health, but if she's started on sheep and that helps her to get it and reduces her frustration/excitability level, then you will have a good start on her, which you should be able to readily transfer to ducks, where you can work her.

Keep us updated and ask any questions you can think of!

J.

I really appreciate your input, Julie! But what are the chances that Ruby will love working sheep so much that ducks would be of less interest to her? Do many dogs make the change? I don't want to start something that I can't finish myself, and the whole point of all this to me is finding something we can do together that Ruby really enjoys....

Kathy Robbins