BC Boards

not DDD

dhstiger

I am having trouble geting my dog to go left. He is right dominate. I would also like to see him get out more on his outruns. We are early in traning for both the dog and myself. He is cutting in to soon and upsetting the sheep. Any thoughts. The DDD thing was a post test that I did not mean to send

dhstiger, my Jackson was real bad about that! He only wanted to go right. What my trainer and I did was simply let him circle then force him to go a bunch left. He was very stubborn! But we stuck with it and he is doing great now and will switch directions easly. I don't know exactly how far you are in training. We have not started Jackson on any out runs yet. Hopefully someone else here that has expertise in that area can help!

Good luck!

P.S. Please read my last post to your other post! :rolleyes:

Not sure how old this dog is or what level of experience you've both got, but here's some generic advice.

if the dog is running too tight, shorten the distance. You'll find a point at which he runs right. Don't mess around with boogie bags, raddle paddles and such to force him out -- you'll break contact with the sheep.

Running tight is usually a sign of a lack of confidence, and if you can find a way to get the dog to go to his left comfortably, it will eventually build his confidence and the tightness will relax.