BC Boards

New 5 year old foster dog-need to understand

Bobby

I just adopted a 5 or so year old border collie, and it has some behaviours I do not understand.It lost its way by finding itself inside a cattle truck, and being driven far away from home. I have never owned a border collie, but I think this guy has some training. I just need to know how to communicate. I think he is a bit insecure right now, and we will bide our time. Only had him 5 days. But what he does is, well one of the things, is that he runs home if you don't have him on a leash. He won't want to leave the yard ( and he has only been there 5 days!) but he comes along on a leash. A real homebody. He tends to want to walk in from of me, and I tried to walk him beside me, and he laid down on the road and didn't want to more. I think I hurt his feelings. He is very sensitive. But he does come when he is called, loves vehicles, but I can call him away from chasing. But when he puts his head down and heads for home, then he doesn't come. I want to take him off the leash, but I can't. Any ideas??

Bobby,

I'm sure that others can give you more information, but right now if you've only had him for 5 days I wouldn't be taking him off the leash yet. At our house new dogs (especially rescues) spend at least a week dragging a long line if they aren't actually on a leash. Of course it varies from dog to dog. But just work on getting his confidence now and get him used to his surroundings. He's been thru a lot if he rode any distance on that truck. Give him time.

Ditto what Laura said. You need to establish a trusting relationship with him before you raise your expectations. It sounds like he's very willing to listen to you - so all you have to do is teach him your routine.

Once he knows the difference between what you do normally, and being whisked away from home again, he should relax and tune into you fully. Until then your main job is keeping him safe and being fair and consistent while he learns what you want.

Thank you for the input. He is a very content fellow on his own new porch. He never really tries to get in the house. I leave the door open and my other little dog wanders at will, but he is happy just being there. He is not what you would call a self excersizer. He gets along with other dogs but doesn't really interact. Funny old soul. I will take my time and I hope I will find out what it is he knows, because he seems to know something. He is very affectionate and licky..a bit too licky at time.

Thanks again for help