BC Boards

A HollieDazed Hello!

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but have been reading over the past several months and learning from the great discussions! Thank you all for this valuable resource!

Hollie (now almost 4 months old) is a BC/ACD cross. (Depending on whether one defines "Border Collie" and "Australian Cattle Dog" by genetics or by job-description, for while her breeder--depending on the definition of "breeder"--bred for ranch work and both parents helped with livestock a bit, Hollie herself never actually worked either sheep or cattle, and hasn't seen either since we brought her home at 8 weeks.)

Her name's a word salad for heeler/collie. She's cute (I'm biased), lively, smart, sweet, and full of personality.

In temperament, as well as in appearance, she seems to have inherited more Border Collie traits than ADC characteristics. (Although I'm guessing she'd handle livestock more like an ACD, for I've never seen the border collie crouch or "eye" from her, but have needed to train her to leave the children's heels alone.)

I've no plans for agility or herding, but hope to focus more on advanced obedience. We're learning together sans trainer, and while Hollie is quick and willing, I have a steep learning curve. I feel like a canine novice, despite having just enjoyed a Cardigan Corgi for 12 years.

My first question (there is a question in all my introductory rambles, lol) is for a book or dvd recommendation. I enjoyed Understanding Border Collies (and made it required reading for my school-aged daughters here as well.) I also read and enjoyed Border Wars. I'm presently reading Control Unleashed, but confess that all sports and agility lingo is foreign to me so extracting principles to apply to our reality is slow going for my brain--worthwhile, just slow-going. I plan to re-read Control Unleashed a few more times but would also like a resource to teach me about free-shaping behavior--starting at the beginning but then going into some depth.

Whew, that was a long first post. I'm looking forward to getting to know the group. I know I have much to learn, and I'm honored to be aboard this forum.

Here's a couple of pictures:

1189409699_yxLMN-S.jpg

1138899202_N68rF-S.jpg

-HollieDazed :rolleyes:

Welcome. She's a cutie! I don't do the type of training you're asking about, but you may want to repost your specific questions in the "Obedience, Agility, and Flyball" section (it's below this one on the main page). You'll get lots of expert advice there (people might overlook your questions here because of the volume of posts in this section).

J.

Gorgeous pup! I enjoyed "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller as a good introductory book for positive training, and if I recall correctly, it does cover clicker training/free shaping.

Free-shaping is a ton of fun! My newest dog is almost 100% free shaped for all his obedience and tricks! (There are pros and cons, but overall I've been really happy with the results!)

Archived