BC Boards

training dogs to run lambs

raganka

I am have 2 puppies that I want to train to run our lambs for exercise. We trained a 2 yr. old last year for this, but seems to have lost interest as the season went on. Does anyone have any information a training for this purpose or the name of a good book? Also, how old do the puppies need to be to start training? Thanks for your help!

Toney-you are correct. My daughter raises show lambs and we need a new track dog for this next season, but want to train it ourselves if possible. We adopted a 2 yr old border collie last year that we were able to train. He did a great job, but became disinterested with our fast running lamb and would just stop running. I kind of feel like he gave up because he knew he couldn't catch him.

Are these lambs hooked to lines, a maypole thingy, or carts? Or are they just running wildly?

Your dog may have lost interest because driving is not necessarily natural to Border Collies (although there are some that love it). Also, as you say, if the lambs are able to get away the dog will eventually say "Forget this." I'm not really sure I understand - do the lambs have to run rather than walk?

A rather low cost walker can be made out of pipe a small drive motor that don't put stress on you show lambs. Unless show lambs have changed since I worked with them I just wanted the lambes walking at a fast walk and never a runn hard to but weigth on a running lamb. I could elevate there heads which put large hams on my lambs.

Look at a horse walker to get an idea how to build it just cut it down to meet you size. You can make it a 4, 6, 8, or 10 lamb walker.

The best thing it will do also it will not drive a Border Collie crazy try to do something they were not breed to do.

One note of intreast I did use me Border Collie to teach the lambs to lead. Me lamb dog it didn't take miny times and they were brook to lead.

I think Jimmy Walker out of Texas sells track dogs. I've seen two different ways the track dogs work- at a dead run around an oval track like race horses, or more commonly around here, used to push the lambs up A-frames, etc. at a steady pace. Steve has a good idea, I haven't noticed much difference in lambs conditioned using a walker versus a track or a chariot, and lamb chariots can be easily built and pulled behind a 4 wheeler, as well. Most of the dogs I've seen used a lot as track dogs get really frustrated after a while and quit, as your has, or build up a head of steam and start gripping.

This thread is another example (in my opinion) why conformation showing (dogs, stock, whatever) is unrealistic.

Showing should reflect reality but if you have to run your lambs like racehorses to get them to win, just what is the point? The lambs that win are not bred better or built better - they are just run better.

It reminds me of the showing of market steers that won in the ring but "lost" on the hook and on the plate, where it really counts.

I hate to say it but I find the concept of running (or a-framing) stock to condition it to win in the ring to be offensive. The training of dogs to do this work just compounds the offense, in my opinion. What a waste of a good dog!