BC Boards

Fish Oil

Olivia

I have one dog who has developed very dry skin and coat this season so I decided to start him on some fish oil to try to help. I picked up a bottle of 1000mg capsules and have been giving one a day. Does this sound good or should I up it to twice daily? He is a 47 lb dog.

Thanks!

For several months, I have had Ody, my similarly sized dog, on 3600 mg/day (split over his two meals). I may go higher this winter, as he's gotten flaky again. I am pretty sure my vet told me anything up to 4000 would be okay to dose on my own without further consulting with her, as long as he didn't develop diarrhea. I can hunt up my notes if you want me to double-check, Olivia, but I wouldn't hesitate to go from 1000 to 2000 if he seems to need an extra boost.

I have one dog who has developed very dry skin and coat this season so I decided to start him on some fish oil to try to help. I picked up a bottle of 1000mg capsules and have been giving one a day. Does this sound good or should I up it to twice daily? He is a 47 lb dog.

Thanks!

As an anti-inflammatory we recommend 1000mg fish body oil per 10#. That generally translates to 18mg/# of EPA.

HTH,

I don't mean to be a kill joy but there was a big article in our paper about fish oil. A lot of it comes from China and there is virtually no regulation on it. And the packaging doesn't indicate that its come from China so its really hard to tell. Is there someway you can check on what you have to be sure its safe?

I just don't trust anything that comes out of China.

Archived