BC Boards

Navajo Churro sheep project looking for dog

Just got a call from the Navajo sheep project

They are looking to find a "Ranch Dog" to help with their flock of about 200 Navajo Churros.

the dog would be with their fulltime Herder and will have to be able to move the sheep, seperate them, pen then, load then in trailers, I guess whatever a working Ranchdog does! They are not looking to trial.

I told the guy that their herder will have to take lessons to be able to work with the dog!

Does anyone have any ideas?

HELP :blink:

You might try posting this in one of the other sections of the board. If they need an already trained working dog, I doubt rescue is the way to go. Unless I misunderstand what they're looking for?

Geez, you are sooo right Thanks,

Now how do I move this to another section? B)

Thanks Narita,

I did not think that it would be so hard. I really like the folks, they are between a rock and a hard spot! Someone donated a closed flock of purebred churros to them the first of October. They got the flock moved down here to NM on about 200 or so acres of rangeland. I think the sheep are rangesheep, so their poor herder, who is on foot, is really having a time to move them! I really feel for them!I did invite a couple of them to come down and watch a handling seminar I am hosting in a week. Maybe they can pick up pointers!

I think the sheep are rangesheep, so their poor herder, who is on foot, is really having a time to move them!

I feel his pain, I have been taking part in the rounding up of free range sheep in the hills here, at least we were on horse back. Well next year both my bc´s should be ready to participate (Fingers crossed....).

Good luck finding a suitable dog.

Archived