BC Boards

Can BC's Herd anything?

DnD

I didn't know where else to post this. I have always been fascinated by herding trials and would like to learn more about them. There seems to be so many knowledgable herding people on this board it seems like an ideal place to start learning and asking questions. I was wondering, is it possible for BC's to herd livestock other than sheep? Do they herd cattle? I was just curious. Thanks!!

Bill have you ever tried geese? I watched a friend move some geese with her ACD and it was a lot of fun.the geese would act like ducks for a few feet and then a few would turn and flap and full on challenge the dog. The dog had to stay right in the pressure and the geese would back down, it was fascinating to watch. Lana

I would think it would depend on the individual as to what they could or couldn't handle, but I think they all THINK they can handle anything. Try guineas sometimes - they're a hoot. My BC isn't formally trained, but we can sometimes manage to get the guineas in where I want them. Too much pressure and they just take off flying, and boy can they run in all directions - and are fast - but at least they don't try to eat the dog like my sheep and geese do.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a website that traines BCs on Canadian Geese. They supply these trained dogs to airports to keep geese off of the runways. I have also seen a news report on this. I personally think the only animal a BC won't try to herd is one that they have never had a chance to herd.