BC Boards

Corners

brookcove

What does it mean when your young dog (pretty much unstarted) insists on taking the sheep and putting them in a corner? Or, up against the fence? She's not sticky, she responds freely to pressure, just kinda forgets I'm there. Any implications for the future training of this pup (eight months old)? She'd flunk an instinct test, for sure, ha ha!

This will be the first pup I've trained with trialing in mind and I'm a bit uptight! I royally screwed up the first two, had the next one trained, so here we go again - at least this time I'll have her breeder looking over my shoulder with one of those white sticks at the ready!

Guest PrairieFire

"What does it mean when your young dog (pretty much unstarted) insists on taking the sheep and putting them in a corner? Or, up against the fence? She's not sticky, she responds freely to pressure, just kinda forgets I'm there. "

I'm thinking it means you've got a Border Collie puppy...

Seriously, the little darlings like to control things and it seems fairly common that holding them up against a fence is the first thing their little doggie brains can think of...just don't let 'em do it...that's when I get 'em to start circling, or help them move them out of the corner...

That's why some folks will round out the corners.

For some reason holding them in a corner seems to be a standard thing with my pups. What I have had some susess with is just walking off and not looking back. This works on good dog broke sheep.What usually happens is the pup wants to go with me but it sure don't want to leave the sheep.I think this makes the pup flank to one side and the sheep move, which gives him a chance to bring the sheep to me. When I walk away I don't say a thing to him, When he does flank and move the sheep then I prase him I don't care how he flanks or what he does as long as he moves them.When he does I prase him and wait for him to fetch them to me. This won't work on all my dogs but most of them it will. As how far I walk away depends on how quick he moves them. I have gone 200 yards before they moved. But his nature to bring them and his disire to be with me usually gets the job done. You can tell after a few times when he is going to move them. He gets that I wanta be with you look and I can't get these dang sheep out of this corner look. Pretty soon I have a dog that will move then out of any corner but I let them figer out how it's done with not help unless I see they are not going to figer it out on their own. I try to train my dogs to think on their own then I work on the do it my way this time thing.