BC Boards

newby

true north

I have a small hobby farm. Last fall I sold all my ewes because my wife doesn't want to deal with lambing. I plan to get a number of feeder lambs in the spring. I am toying with the idea of getting a Border Collie to work with them. What do some of you think about starting out like this with almost all lambs and a working dog? Could I train my own dog in this situation? I am an experienced dog handler with 13 Alaskan Huskies but would be new to Border Collies. I might also run the BC with a recreational dog team in the winter.

Guest PrairieFire

It would be difficult, but not absolutely impossible, to train a green dog on lambs - but you would be doing something terribly difficult...

a trained dog would make things easier - but you would want to get some training yourself to help things along...

I've got a friend in Northern MN who started running her Border Collie as a lead dog, then actually ran him in a few sheepdog trials, now the sheepdog bug has bit her and she's nearly dropped the sledding - fewer dogs to take care of anyway...

Drop me a line and I'll send you contact info for her if you wish...otherwise there isn't a ton of stuff up your way - I know, we used to live up by Fargo, and I did my share of searching...

That would be great. If you're friend wouldn't mind send me an E-mail and I'll call her up.

You're down near my natal home. I lived on the St. Croix river between Hudson and River Falls growing up and went to Moo-U (oops..I mean UW-River Falls). It might be fun to be a spectator at one of your trials down there but it is hard to get down that way too often now.

I know that a good dog is worth the money but am a little intimidated by the cost of a trained BC. I've spent plenty of money on sled dogs over the years and if I spend another several thousand my wife might break. So being the overconfident chap that I am I started thinking maybe I could train one.Maybe that's too much to take on. It would sure be fun though and useful too. I could keep more sheep then.

Guest PrairieFire

Oh, I think you could train one, you just might have to find some ewes that are "dog broke" to make things easier - I brought my first dog to the farm with 2 months training and 6 dog broke sheep in a trailer - package price...

Just starting one on crazy feeder lambs would be AWFUL tough even for an expereinced trainer with a good setup...

I'll try and get you my friends number - she just built herself a new home up there (she's with the forestry service) and I don't even know if she has email, a cell phone maybe - she's a wilderness girl, y'know...but she's supposed to be coming down here to work dogs sometime this month...would you email me at my home address so I have your stuff on file for when she comes?

And you are welcome to swing by anytime - trial or not - if you're ever down here...Moo-U is alive and kicking...