BC Boards

newspaper article

Caroline

Hi, thanks for trying to find the article. When I went to the site on Sunday, it came up as the headline article on the first page after I loaded the url I listed. I guess that one has to search after that current day is over. It turns out that this guy in the article has had his dog picked up running loose by the shelter people. I am trying to write a letter to the editor without slamming him personally, just giving a different perspective. Thanks for trying to find it.

Caroline

Guest PrairieFire

Caroline -

What's your point?

If you're referring to the article about the Stremler fellow, I fail to see what you would write a letter about - besides the disjointed writing - but heck, there are few good reporters these days...

The article even quotes Linda Fogt - all in all I thought it was a pretty good article...what upsets you?

Thanks for looking Bill. It is the raising them for sale due to growing interest sentence that did bother me. This is in consideration of the rescue situation here locally and the fadct that one of this fellow's dogs showed up at the local shelter. Although I have to admit that his "cowboy" attitude irritated me. But I am a pet owner and that probably explains that. I am concerned he is not a responsible breeder. Having reread it before responding, I overreacted emotionally to the article for the most part.

Thanks for looking,

Caroline

Guest PrairieFire

Well Caroline -

I don't know the situation you are referring to, but dogs can dig themselves out of just about anything if they so desire...or jump or run or...so a loose dog wouldn't worry me much - unless it was mine...

My Flo is a fence jumper - she has to be kenneled VERY securely if ANYONE is out working stock - or she leaps the fence and either "helps" or heads for the barn for a little freelancing...I can see a situation where she might just get lost while looking for work (picture a short haired, tri, prick eared, sausage bodied dog - looking much like a weasel - with a sign around her neck - "Will work anything for anybody for any reason")...and isn't that what Animal Rescue was originally set up for - to help owners locate lost animals?

Please keep in mind that the average "rescue" dog isn't of the caliber of a well-bred (working bred) dog...and I know that will offend many rescue folks, but so be it, the rescue dogs in the National Finals are rather sparse...so picking up a rescue in hopes of getting a fine working dog is rather like going to Vegas to win the rent money...it can be done, but I ain't counting on it...

Hey Bill,

I definitely agree that looking to rescue for a successful trial dog is unlikely. It might be possible but the odds are against you. And yes, dogs can get out of stuff like fences if motivated to do so. I think I will look into this more before writing a letter to the editor. The concerns I still have are his breeding of dogs that may end up in rescue due to placement in an inappropriate home. And that can happen to any breeder, I know. There are ways to minimize it though. I appreciate your input.

Caroline

Originally posted by Caroline:

The concerns I still have are his breeding of dogs that may end up in rescue due to placement in an inappropriate home. And that can happen to any breeder, I know. There are ways to minimize it though. I appreciate your input.

Caroline

As a pet owner,try to put an end to people who breed their dogs to achieve certain criterias other than working abilities.

Take a look at your own dog,most probably was bred to be a "pet and pet only" before jumping into conclusions ( breeding of working dogs may end up in wrong hands and in rescues).

For one printed material of working dogs,there are 100's of breeders who breed cr*ps for pet purposes,try to find those in your area and flush them out by arranging an interview yourself.

As a pet owner,you will never understand what working dogs are all about and trying to voice your opinion based on pets,I believe you are getting a bit ahead of yourself.

As for the newspaper article,nothing wrong with it. If it fails to give the whole picture,it is most likely due to the fact that,reporters are limited to so many words and they try to edit "spoken words between parties" to what they think may attract the general public's interest.

Working dogs and their achievements are not meant to fit into 1 1/2 columns to give the full picture. Even books aren't enough.

Hi Inci,

Thanks for looking at the article. I have presented myself as a pet owner so that is all you know about me. That and what is naturally inferred from what I write. I agree with much of what you wrote. I do understand a bit about working dogs, sort of the tip of the iceberg and am looking forward to learning more. I go to trials and used to herd with my dog. I have my acreage and hope to have sheep in few years. I completely agree that words cannot give the full picture of working dogs. I have watched them gather in Scotland and seen some struggle in their work and carry on. It can choke up a person. Thank you for your time,

Caroline Chamblin