BC Boards

Retired trial dog

Olivia

Ok, I need honest opinions because I am very confused.

My herding trainer has this dog named Roy who is an open trial dog (very successful). I really like this dog, to the extent that my new puppy is his son. Now Roy is 9 years old and she is retiring him from competition and has asked if I would like to have him (I dont know if she means permanantly) so I can use him to learn so I will be better able to train my pup. I could enter him in pro-novice, ranch, etc.

What do you think? I live in TN and hope to be moving to a house soon (live in an apt now). If I dont get to move there is no way I would take him (3 border collies in an apt would be too much for me). I work during the day and train on weekends. I also take my dogs for walks and fetch play sessions every day.

Could a dog that is used to working adjust to being a house dog? Roy is very mellow and calm and is fine in her house. What do you guys think? I'm going to find it hard to refuse this awesome dog that is being dropped into my lap.

Olivia

Olivia,

You should take Roy. I think he will adjust just fine. I too work, and at this time of the year, I have daylight for working dogs only on weekends, so that's when my dogs work. (I'm watching the days get longer though....) Such a wonderful opportunity may not come your way again.

J.

TAKE HIM TAKE HIM TAKE HIM! I would have killed for the chance to work with an Open level dog when I was first starting out. My trainer did loan me his old Novice dog and I learned so much from him, but he has many limits due to his age and that fact that his training never got to the top level. I can only imagine what I could have learned with an Open dog trained by my trainer. Well, technically my young dog IS that, but he's young and still has a lot of kinks to work out.

------------------

Rebecca

Brook Cove Farm, NC

Guest PrairieFire

If you like the dog, take advantage of the offer...

Assuming he's not the type to take advantage of you (and the present trainer should be able to help you determine that), it's a great opportunity - for you and him...he will get some shorter work instead of just being put up for longer and longer times...

Actually, even IF he's the type to take advantage of a green handler, assuming the help of the trainer, you could perhaps learn even more...

Have fun.

------------------

Bill Gary

Kensmuir, Working Stockdog Center

River Falls, WI

www.kensmuir.com