BC Boards

Starting a pup on Sheep or Goats

Cowsavy

Which is best, I train cattle dogs and expect more bite than you would on sheep. I like to start my pups on wild goats when they are about 3mo old don't do any training other than just letting the pups latch on. The wild goats are going to run from the pup. and the pup is going to chase.I let them chase them a few times for about 5 min. Then I don't fool with them again till they are 8 mo old. What I think I am doing or hope anyway is bulding up their courage. When they get 8 mo old I use dog broke goats and work on their balance with out any comands other than come. Am I anywhere close to doing it somewhat correct?

Thanks Toney, I would like to check that out.But I also like this site too. I would like to get in to trialing soon and I can't afford to keep a bunch of dogs for every event. So I try and go alittle farther and train one dog or a couple to do it all. I think my dogs are smart enough and can handle sheep as well as cattle. They just have learn what I want when I want. Most people I know quit training or have certain things they want to accumplish and when that is done they quit. A few years back I had one dog that was and shc 3 Attack dog, a tracker, and a drug dog depending on which comand I started him with was the mode he worked in. If I had stoped on the attack dog I would have missed the tracker and the drug dog. I had 3 using dogs and only had to feed one. Oh he was good at all 3 just took more time but a lot cheeper.