Jump to content
BC Boards

Childrens Toys May Be Dangerous for Dogs

Recommended Posts

I received this article from a fellow dog owner and wanted to share the info with others.



Subject: Re: Childrens Toys May Be Dangerous for Dogs


Last night at agility class, a vet, who is a fellow agility student was

telling us about a case she had this week. The dog ate a child's teddy bear

and was very sick. When she opened the dog up to remove what she thought


an intestinal obstruction she found a huge gelatin type mess inside and the

dogs intestines were black and the tissue dead. The dog will die no surgery

can fix him up there was no living intestine left from stomach to colon.


This was not an obstruction.This was not an obstruction.<WBR>.... so she


Bear on a quest to find out what the gel was and what killed the dog. Turns

out the stuffing in childrens toys contains ingredients for flame

retardants and mite control! It is designed to be come a gel. It is highly

toxic. Now you would think a child's toy would be safe because it is for

children, but they don't expect a child to eat the stuffing of the toys...

huummmm that seems a bit scary too. But we all know dogs demolish stuffed



So do not give or buy your dog any childrens stuffed animals... some


get them at goodwill etc. The vet will be posting a warning and story and I

will send any other facts as needed and as I learn more. Maybe some

children's toys do not have this ingredient, but better to be safe then

sorry. So meanwhile, make sure all your dog toys are for dogs. Please pass

this on... it is a horrible death she described and one that can be


Karlyn <mailto:karlyn%mailto:karmai> _karlyn@northlc.kar_



P.S. I contacted this person to make sure it wasn't a hoax and she assured

me it wasn't. She said the vet who operated on the dog is Sandra Tuoninen,

DVM in Northern MN and gave me her email address. Her research found that


looks like the chemical is to discourage bacterial growth and is also found

in some comforters and bedspreads."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the warning! Not only does this freak me out for our dogs but also our children! I have washed a lot of stuffed animals in the washing machine and they haven't turned to gel so I assume not all stuffed animals have it but still.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...