BC Boards

I want sheep

Sabreur

Took my boys to herding camp three weekends ago--they did very well. Both, once they finished racing in circles around the flock, went to the balance point--both learned to react correctly to "away to me" and "come by" commands, and by the end of the weekend, I walked around the field and Turbo, my older dog, drove the sheep behind me. Mind you, I think the particular sheep pretty much knew that if they followed the human, the dog would leave them alone. But it was still a very addictive expererience--I'm now looking for a hobby herding group near where I live, so we can work sheep at least once a month, preferably once a week.

BTW, Turbo is 2-1/2 at the end of the month--I found him as a six month old puppy on the street in front of my office--he'd been abandoned. Merlin is two years and two months old--I got him when he was a year old from a family that could no longer keep him. When we can't get sheep, we work really hard with balls, frisbees, retriever rolls, etc.

I had dogs all my life, but Border Collies are a whole new game.

Guest PrairieFire

That is certainly a true statement...

The Continent appears to be getting more and more active with the dogs, good luck in finding a club...

------------------

Bill Gary

Kensmuir, Working Stockdog Center

River Falls, WI

www.kensmuir.com

Hi Mark,

Have you heard of Working Sheepdog News? It's a magazine based in the UK, and they also have a discussion group that you might want to join. The address for joining the discussion group is below.

http://www.workingsheepdog.org/discussiongroup.html

The people on this list are very nice and are from Europe and North America, not just the UK. You'd probably be able to make some contacts there who could help you find someone to help you train your dog as well as sheep to train on. I understood from recent discussions on the list about the World Trial at Bala that the Germans did quite a good job!

Good luck!

Julie