BC Boards

Training Blues!

ikw

I don't know what it is but nothing gets me down like when I fail a dog.

I find myself getting into a slump where things were most enjoyable (starting and training youngsters) are no longer giving any pleasure.

This has been my case for the past months with Mickey,no matter how I approached the training sessions for each positive steps,we were taking about 50 negative ones.

As a two years old,I was hoping he would be out of some of the silliness and we could proceed with our training.

He is extremely one sided. As long as I'm running him on his way side,everything is just dandy. On his come-bye side,everything falls apart faster than I could blink.

Today,we went back to basics.

I really and dearly love this boy as a dog. And I'm willing to give him all the time in the world even if it's depresses me to no end. Beside his extreme one sidedness,he's got so much to offer one day.

I've had him on cattle,it doesn't faze him a bit.

I'm planning on sticking to basics in a small area until he gets it 100% on his come bye side,cause I don't know what else to do.

If anyone could come up with a brilliant suggestion,I'm all ears.

------------------

Inci Willard

Clearville,PA

814-784-3414

ikw@pennswoods.net

Guest PrairieFire

Anyone you could trade pups with for awhile, Inci?

I don't have anybody close anymore either, but for awhile I could "trade" dogs with a friend, and we could work with each others dogs - fresh, new ideas, not so stuck, etc...

Kinda like sending the kids off to summer camp...

------------------

Bill Gary

Kensmuir, Working Stockdog Center

River Falls, WI

www.kensmuir.com

I was planning on sending him to Sam this past spring but I didn't think he was quite ready yet.

Perhaps I should have before getting stuck on a rut. Live and learn,I'd say.

I'm taking him to B.Dalziel clinic to see if he's got any hope in the near future.

I once had a little girl who was quite similar,she never covered sheep right on one side but listened good enough to take a whistle to put her right,she finally went to a golf course as a goose patrol from Barbara Ligon. She was also cuter than a button and he's not cute.

I spend about a year on her,I guess I could spend as much on him before I'll throw the towel and making him my frisbee pet dog.

------------------

Inci Willard

Clearville,PA

814-784-3414

ikw@pennswoods.net

Now i don't think what i have to say can count as 'advice' as i'm as green as spring grass, but your Mickey dog just sounds sooo familiar.

I started Sophie this May and after some very successful early sessions things fell apart big style - in hindsight we were trying to do too much too soon, but to cut a long story short, we got ourselves in a rut and things got worse each session.

We stopped training for 3 month, and she's learned as much as though she's been on sheep 3 times a week during that time - suddenly willing to take corrections for what they are, we've worked wonders with her onesidedness and while she was keen before, now her attitude is just tops.

Only problem is now that we are doing so well, done a deal for unlimited access to tuition & sheep she's gone lame on me & has to rest again

Also read in a little training booklet about 'the mystery of the Boreder Collie mending itself when put up for some time'...

I'm sure you know all this though

Britta

How do you mean fall apart on the come bye side. Is the dog cutting or crashing or just not want to go? Most dogs are one sided some just more than others. How sensitive is the dog to body pressure? and has the dog always not wanted the comebye side. Remember when frustration sets in stop training at small accomplishments.

If you can make him look 1% better every time you take him out then 100 times he will be 100% better.

Guest Charles Torre

Actually, Inci is better off than that. If she increases her dog's performance by 1% each session, then she will only need about 70 sessions to see a 100% improvement.

charlie

It seems Mickey needed to hear a Glaswegian to right himself.

As keen as he is,he's still immature but at least he doesn't have to spend the rest of his life as a couch potato.

Verdict:

He's not at all hard headed and grips are completely gone and he tries very hard to please. I just have to remember to tell him he's a good dog when he does right. This is something new to me but seems to work with him.

I'll keep things simple for awhile,let him mature little bit more and ship him out to Ali for further training.

Who knows,he may yet to be a Nursery prospect for this year.

------------------

Inci Willard

Clearville,PA

814-784-3414

ikw@pennswoods.net