BC Boards

Targeting question

Is there any negative to training Maya to nose touch a target for a food reward?

She is more toy motivated than food motivated (but she is happy to work for food also), I can send her to a toy easily (I use a small floppy frisbee, so in essence a target).

I also have no intention of teaching 2o2o with a nose touch.

I know my instructor usually teaches targeting to a CD and I am trying to decided if I even want to do it since I can send her to a toy just fine (for distance work etc), and I don't want the nose touch on her 2o2o.

I can't think of any particular negative. I teach nose touches to my hand, to a target stick, and to a flat target like a CD. If I use them to train something, I use them, and if I don't then I don't.

I've found that targeting is versatile and I find it handy for teaching various and sundry things along the way. I don't tend to use them a whole lot, but when I want to use a target to teach something, it is good to have the behavior already in place.

I can't think of any particular negative. I teach nose touches to my hand, to a target stick, and to a flat target like a CD. If I use them to train something, I use them, and if I don't then I don't.

I've found that targeting is versatile and I find it handy for teaching various and sundry things along the way. I don't tend to use them a whole lot, but when I want to use a target to teach something, it is good to have the behavior already in place.

I also teach both (as do the trainers at my training center). They have both been useful. I've used them some in agility but I find them even more useful in everyday life (I'm teaching Daisy to close the door right now using targeting because if the stinker can open it the least she can do is close it).