BC Boards

Acupuncture

JaderBug

Just saw this on the local news channel's website... a video about acupuncture being used for a 9-year old BC SAR dog here in Iowa. I've met Talyn several times, he is a wonderful dog... he's had several articles written about him (and his handler), does numerous demonstrations, etc. He's been talked about once on these boards in regards to the flooding in Iowa two years ago.

Thought others might find it interesting:

http://www.kcci.com/video/22312048/index.html

That was very interesting. We just recently used acupuncture with a fearful dog. Surprisingly, it worked. This puppy at about 12 weeks had never been touched by a human. She was so fearful of people, I worried for her, they were going to get me to foster her because I'm the only foster home with fearful dog experience. I held her for about 30 minutes one day and gave her treats and softly stroked her. It took her almost that entire time to stop shaking and look at me. Up until this point, we had never seen her yawn either (weird I know). We brought her for a couple of acupuncture appointments and her personality did a 180. It was the most interesting/bizarre thing I have ever seen, she also started yawning after the first visit. She is still somewhat reserved around new people, but she's improving every day by leaps and bounds. I am starting to believe that acupuncture does a lot more than we think it does...

That was very interesting. We just recently used acupuncture with a fearful dog. Surprisingly, it worked. This puppy at about 12 weeks had never been touched by a human. She was so fearful of people, I worried for her, they were going to get me to foster her because I'm the only foster home with fearful dog experience. I held her for about 30 minutes one day and gave her treats and softly stroked her. It took her almost that entire time to stop shaking and look at me. Up until this point, we had never seen her yawn either (weird I know). We brought her for a couple of acupuncture appointments and her personality did a 180. It was the most interesting/bizarre thing I have ever seen, she also started yawning after the first visit. She is still somewhat reserved around new people, but she's improving every day by leaps and bounds. I am starting to believe that acupuncture does a lot more than we think it does...

I would be very interested in learning more about this. I have used acupuncture fore several dogs for injuries. I currently have a VERY dog fear/aggressive Kelpie,and would like to try this on him. I fyou can PM me with some info on where to get more info on this, I would really appreciate it.

I have used acupuncture often over the years. The first dog was a PWC that we thought had a slipped stiffle. He was seen by 2 vets with the same diagnosis. As this is not uncommon in this breed we didn't investigate further. One of the vets did the accupuncture. Got him thru the season and took him to a 3rd vet for the surgery to correct this. X-rays showed a broken kneecap! He had competed hard and well with it via pain relief from acupuncture! Sold me on it. Dogs don't show the placebo effect of people. I attribute it with helping my old Moss dog stay alive for a few more years. He got regular treatments for a stenosis of the spine. When he got to where he was dragging his rear we did it often and he improved to walking and attempting running. Not for all things, but can help some. I would like to try it on the Kelpie's fear issues.

TIA,

Pam

I have been thinking about getting Isla treated for overall stiffness but much of her pain comes from Spondylosis so I am not sure how effective that would be since it is a bone/structural issue.

It is very interesting though and great to see!