BC Boards

Who's your daddy?

Our rescue dog came ,with the help of PAWS, from Oklahoma. He was listed as a Husky-Retriever mix [he is 19" at the shouldar and 44 lbs!]. He seemed to come to us with a good skill set. Almost as though someone had worked with him quite a bit and he flunked being whatever is was that they wanted him to be. After months of tellling people we thought he was a BC mix and after months of everyone saying that he couldn't be because of his color [even if they agreed that if he were black and white they would guess BC] we went ahead and got him DNA tested. His profile came back as primary for Border Collie with no secondary dog detected. So I guess we solved the 'Who's your daddy'.

Whatever else is in the tangle of his DNA is just a lovely, much loved and most lovable dog.

I am still clicking onto Petfinder and Glen Highland Farm. There may be a BC in our future. Right now I am resting up for our afternoon hike. This morning we did our annual civil twilight romp to ring in the new year.

Happy New Year to all.

Our rescue dog came ,with the help of PAWS, from Oklahoma. He was listed as a we went ahead and got him DNA tested. His profile came back as primary for Border Collie with no secondary dog detected. So I guess we solved the 'Who's your daddy'.

Hi. Your post is really interesting. How reliable is the testing supposed to be? So do the results conclude that both mother and father were Border collies?

How expensive is the testing?

Was the testing done in your local vet's office?

Hi. Your post is really interesting. How reliable is the testing supposed to be? So do the results conclude that both mother and father were Border collies?

How expensive is the testing?

Was the testing done in your local vet's office?

The testing was somewhere in the neighborhood of $80.00. I used the Wisdom test by Mars Veterinary. The test with the highest accuracy is a blood test though I have read articles that say that saliva is the best for accuracy, saliva tests are not available to the public. Your vet can do the blood draw but we did the swab which was easy enough. I believe that they state the blood test to be at least 90% accurate. I have read that the buccal is a bit less accurate.

They make it very clear that they don't test purebreds. When we got the results it merely said that our dog's DNA revealed significant [primary] for BC. This meant 50% or greater.

Our dog is not a purebred. Whatever the rest of him is may be so mixed, for so many generations, that no other breed showed up as a secondary.

I participated in the National Geographic Genome Project and I find genetics just fascinating.

Here is a link to the FAQ's:

http://www.marsveterinary.com/faq.aspx