BC Boards

I think its going to work!

Thanks all for the suggestions on how to work with three dogs....I tied them out this morning and switched off about every three minutes...took more time to switch than it did to do a short lesson, but it was worth it. We bascially just hiked two turns around the yard, practicing heel and sit. Robin was quiet, as he usually is. Ladybug whined and fussed but settled down when she realized that we weren't heading to my mother in law's Brodie quieted down when she did. Whew! Now, I'm going to make three permanent tie outs along the fence so the dogs know what to expect. I will mix up their turns though - and continue to take them places for individual work.

NOw off to my human students......:rolleyes:

Liz

I hadn't read the original thread until I saw this one, but I wanted to mention that Susan Garrett's Crate Games DVD might be a good tool for someone in your situation, especially if they had aspirations toward agility. Among other things, the crate games teach a dog to wait patiently in their crate (even with the door open) until their turn comes. Part of it is about learning to love the crate, but another part is about grasping the concept of "turns".

If you don't want to use crates, you could teach them to each wait on their own mat or bed until their turn. Tie outs, IMO, are a management tool, which is fine for where you're at now, but in your shoes I'd want to ultimately be able to ask the dogs to take responsibility for their own behavior, i.e. wait patiently for their turn without being restrained.

I hadn't read the original thread until I saw this one, but I wanted to mention that Susan Garrett's Crate Games DVD might be a good tool for someone in your situation, especially if they had aspirations toward agility. Among other things, the crate games teach a dog to wait patiently in their crate (even with the door open) until their turn comes. Part of it is about learning to love the crate, but another part is about grasping the concept of "turns".

If you don't want to use crates, you could teach them to each wait on their own mat or bed until their turn. Tie outs, IMO, are a management tool, which is fine for where you're at now, but in your shoes I'd want to ultimately be able to ask the dogs to take responsibility for their own behavior, i.e. wait patiently for their turn without being restrained.

Yes, I do want them to get the idea that they need to take turns without being restrained, either in a crate or being tied. The two pups can certainly learn this and Ladybug already knows about taking turns, but if she sees one of them break ranks, then she's not going to be left behind.

I'll look for the DVD.

Liz