BC Boards

temporary lameness in Shep

KJ

Hi there

I haven't been to the board in months! I miss it. I've spent a few days catching up. We lost all our info on our computer and I couldn't recall my password and for some reason this system couldn't retrieve it...but alas I found the printed back up! YAY!!!!

About 1 1/2 months ago Shep was in the back yard and we were playing. He held up his right paw as if it was hurt. I looked and saw nothing. Then about 1 1/2 hour later he held up his back leg...same thing. I saw nothing, felt everywhere. Next day, Shep can't walk. He just laid there crying and moaning, his eyes were fixed and his breathing was so shallow. I thought, wow, this is it...he's dying! I called a friend to come over and made my husband come home from work. I scheduled a home visit with a vet.

The neighbor came inside and Shep tried to get up to go see her. He dragged himself, screaming in pain, wobbling everywhere and collapsed when he reached her.

Vet came. Shep as some know here is a 'special needs' dog, behaviourally. He's aggressive. He needs major sedation to go to the vets. This vet however didn't want him sedated so he could really tell what was the matter. It took 3 of us and a muzzle to hold him down while the vet drew blood and examined him. The verdict was, possibly menengitis, possibly tick born paralysis, possibly disc disease caused by a fall 2 days prior. Shep jumped over an orange plastic construction type fence but he clipped it with his back leg and took a major header. One side of his whole head covered in mud and none on his body...he took the hit on his head and neck. Right after the fall and the next 2 days he was fine. Shep was put on Prednisone, 2 anti-biotics, muscle relaxers. He is now 100%.

It was a nightmare. But he's all better and unless it happens again (in which case it would be disc related) we'll never know what happened.

About a week after that, he developed a red blood dot in his iris and the whites of his eyes. Oinment for that. Trauma caused by the fall most likely.

The night of the home visit, the Dr came with euthanasia stuff. He discussed this as possiblity...being that Shep is aggressive and difficult to examine. He didn't encourage it, but he offered it as an option. It was the first time I really considered it and it sends chills up my spine. It's been such an exhausting ride with him for 2+ years, and I was so drained that evening, the idea that we could just end it right then was...sickening but I also could feel the possible relief from the anxiety and stress...and it was horrible. I was face to face with my demons-my weak side and the desire to take the easy road.

So Lima Bean, as he is called now (the Prednisone made him so so ravenous, he gained a bunch of weight) is right beside me as I type. I am so glad I did not just decide to do "it". How could I have lived with myself.

Glad to be back. Hope everyone is well!

Kim

Hey, Kim, we've missed you and Shep and Curly! There's never a dull moment when you are keeping us up-to-date on what's happening with you and your guys.

I'm very glad to hear that he's okay, that you were able to handle things, and that your vet was willing to come to your house and work with him. It hasn't been easy for any of you.

Best wishes to all!

Sorry to hear about poor Shep's misadventures and troubles. I hope his health continues to improve.

It's hard to have an animal that is behaviorally "difficult". I had a rather terrifying cat for more than 12 years, so I understand. (People were always openly encouraging me to have the little 12 lb. thing put down, because she terrorized everyone.) I loved her, but it was very hard to have her around. Don't feel guilty about the moment when you thought about relief from the stress -- that's a very natural reaction.

Good luck and continued improvement with Shep!

Hiya Sue!

Ain't it the truth? I really wanted to post about this to see if anyone else ever had this happen. NEVER a dull moment. We've been discussing whether to have a diagnostic tests done on Shep, CAT scan, MRI-which would be quite traumatic for him. We decided we'll wait and see if it reoccurs and take it from there.

Curly is doing quite well. We went up to Lake Sebego early August. Shep was kenneled but Curly got to go. He swam and swam and we played endlessly. Each night around 8:30 or so he'd slink away from the group, crawl into bed for the rest of the night. He had such a blast. He was so satiated. It's what I imagine he'd be like with an agility or frisbee career...really happy. Curly even pulled me and my husband into land from kind of far out in the water. We floated and held onto the rope of a retrieving toy as he pulled and swam. He was like what most on this board probably experience...satisfied dogs. Curly also had a 12 year old boy, quite dog saavy and with no other pals, with which to play soccer, frisbee.

I went to St Louis recently and drove past your exit, Bruceton Mills on Rt. 70 (68?). So I gave a wave to you.

Hope you and your crew are all well.

Kim

Well, that's my exit and thanks for the wave! Rt 68 comes off Rt 70 near Hancock MD and only runs until it hits Rt 79 near Morgantown WV.

Now, is Shep experiencing any symptoms now? I wondered when you mentioned doing MRI, etc. If not, does the vet think you need to test? Sounds like you have a caring and capable vet.

It's really nice that Curly had such a great time. It's a joy to make their lives full and contented. My dogs love water, too. Megan and Bute are great swimmers (we have to watch them or they just head off into the sunset, paddling away). Celt only swims if he has to, to retrieve a ball (and only if he figures he can get it first - if it looks like Megan's going to beat him to it, he doesn't bother) but he loves the water nevertheless. He looks pretty dorky waiting near the shore, standing on his hind legs and beating on the water with his front paws, like he's urging her to hurry up and get back with the ball so he can try to steal it from her after she's done all the work! Aren't they all such a blast? What personalities!

We are fine here. Training on stock progresses slowly, held back largely by handler ineptitude. But we are working on it! Celt and I went to a marvelous clinic by Elvin Kopp last week and so I have lots to work on. Having the dogs makes the work with the stock enjoyable for me instead of a chore, and I very grateful for that.

Celt is doing well and coming along with his stockwork, and will always be my special dog and companion. Megan is the apple of Ed's eye, cute as can be, top bitch by default, and quite helpful on the farm in her own way. Bute is eager to get learning about stock, and sadly still has "touchy" intestines. His goofiness makes us laugh and he's alternately a fun playmate or a pest to the older dogs. Old Mac is getting along although he experiences more frequent weakness in his hind end - he's still top dog and gets around pretty handily for being 14 1/2, but wears out quickly. He sometimes needs help with a step up but takes it all with pretty good grace.

Wonderful to hear from you - next time I'm going east through Maryland, I'll give a wave back somewhere. Best wishes as always!

Hi Sue

You all sound like you are really busy and having a blast. That is great.

As far as Shep, he is fine now so we'll wait for any diagnostics but it WOULD be nice to know what the heck happened to him.

Wave in the direction of Annapolis and a bit South.

LOVE Hancock Diner!!!

Kim

Hi Sue

You all sound like you are really busy and having a blast. That is great.

As far as Shep, he is fine now so we'll wait for any diagnostics but it WOULD be nice to know what the heck happened to him.

Wave in the direction of Annapolis and a bit South.

LOVE Hancock Diner!!!

Kim