BC Boards

dog yard

We have a fenced in area that is 80' by 80'. It is shaded by large trees and ideal for Josie. We have a screened porch which leads to a narrow run which she uses to access that area. It actually is an ideal set up because we can let her out into the screened porch and she lets herself out to her fenced area. She doesn't stay out there for long periods but comes and goes as she desires.

Has anyone used rubber mulch in a dog pen. We were thinking of using it in the narrow run part so that she would come in with a little less mud on her feet during rainy times. We do trim the hair between her pad but she can still track mud. We have taught her to roll over for cleaning her feet but there are times that we think she won't have dirty feet and she does.

Josie does not eat things that she might tear up like her rubber balls or stuffed toys so I don't expect that would be an issue.

Would love to hear others opinions or about their experiences.

My biggest concern would be the dog chewing the rubber mulch. If you're sure she won't chew/swallow it, then I think it would be fine. Why not set up a little foot bath at the end of the run by the house (or on the porch). Teach her to step through it whenever she comes in and that will help wash the dirt off.

J.

I have a large, fenced and covered kennel in my back yard, with similar tree shading. It also has two large dog houses with beds, toy boxes, etc. in it. My dogs usually spend a couple of hours a day in the kennel. I also put foster dogs visiting, shelter pulled visitors and transports needing a layover here. Very open and relaxing, but controlled. (I have an 8 ft. cedar fence surrounding my yard, but I have concern about visiting dogs trying to escape and hurting themselves.)

I didn't want cement for the floor and looked at various other types of kennel flooring with an eye to comfort, but also for clean-up. We ultimately went with very fine redwood mulch (the kind you have brought to you in a large truck). The area is raised and has a redwood frame around it (so as not to allow digging out by frightened or bored dogs). The mulch compacts very tightly in the area, but is soft to the feel and we can clean up mistakes by visitors very easily. It does not cause mud and clean up of paws is very easy.

I opted not to use artificial mulches like you mention because although my dogs have shown no inclination to consume rubber products, I was concerned about the size of the pieces and the fact that if anybody did eat some, it could cause real issues. (Please note, I also did not use regular wood bark mulch for much the same reason -- the 1 - 3 inch pieces could possibly be eaten.) I do volunteer work with a rescue and often have visiting dogs in the kennel.

You don't mention where you are located, but I would think that your location would also affect the type of flooring you would want to use in the kennel.

Good look to you in your search! :rolleyes:

My biggest concern would be the dog chewing the rubber mulch. If you're sure she won't chew/swallow it, then I think it would be fine. Why not set up a little foot bath at the end of the run by the house (or on the porch). Teach her to step through it whenever she comes in and that will help wash the dirt off.

J.

I've often thought of trying that, especially on those heavy-dew mornings when sand turns to gritty mud. I never have enough time to vacuum and mop muddy paw prints from the floors before leaving for work.

Anybody actually use this method? How do you train your dog(s) to step into a smallish container of water? I’ve tried dipping paws into a bucket before but all I get is resistance. “Are you nuts!? I’m not putting my foot in there! No way!” :rolleyes:

Anybody actually use this method? How do you train your dog(s) to step into a smallish container of water? I've tried dipping paws into a bucket before but all I get is resistance. "Are you nuts!? I'm not putting my foot in there! No way!" :rolleyes:

Not only would a "smallish" container not work (they'd probably jump over or walk around it), but when they get dirt packed into their paws, the only thing that helps is a solid blast from the hose. Mulch of any sort that could be chewed and swallowed would be out for me.