BC Boards

Sale - Starter Flock Wool Sheep

I have about a dozen REALLY nice sheep for a novice shepherd. These are NOT culls. I am downscaling (um, again) because I'll be only doing freezer lambs next year and I've discovered these sheep are really, really prolific - which worked okay when I had 60 acres for them but not so much with nine acres. :rolleyes:

These are wool crosses - Dorset, NCC, Border Cheviot, plus a smidge of hair sheep way back which produces a "surprise" hair lamb every so often. :D They have been culled very hard for heat and humidity tolerance, thriving and high gain on grass, and parasite resistance. I worm the adults about three times a year, max (as this year when they have been essentially dry lotted when not taken to grass).

This year these girls lambed twins or triplets in freezing weather, outside, with no assistance. I don't jug unless for a really serious problem and only jugged a couple - one a first timer with triplets and one very old ewe with twins (she is not included in this lot - I am keeping my three or four oldest for retirement/dog work). They breed in 100 degree weather and get their lambs going in single digit weather with no help.

They are already vaccinated for this year's breeding and will be freshly shorn (I shear in late summer pre-breeding), hooves trimmed, etc. I can run them in with my pure Blue Face Leister ram if desired, though it's a bit early for the ram.

I'm asking $750 for the flock - negotiable. I've also got a ram, a son of one of the foundation ewes for these sheep (she's still lambing and raising twins at 11 years old!). He is half Blue Face Leister, 1/4 Dorset, 1/4 Katadhin. He'll be two in 2010. He can go free with the ewes, or if anyone is interested in him he can go for $125 separate.

I'm near Danville VA.

I forgot to mention that although they are not dead broke, these sheep are nicely broken and have been used many times in clinics and trials and fun days with good results. I work them with dogs even hours after they have lambed, with no problem.