BC Boards

Intro and questions

I totally disagree that dogs do not do well in urban settings (especially when introduced to it at a young age). In fact, i think that city dogs can actually get more face time in with their people and do a lot more activities (emphasis on the CAN) because it is very hard to ignore a dog in an appartment but if you have an acre of land, you can delude yourself into thinking that your dog is happy outside.

Boy is this true. I spend so much time, energy, and money on Daisy that most people I'm kind of insane. On the other hand, it takes a heck of a lot of time, energy, and money to make sure that a border collie/staffie mix is happy in a 700 sq. ft. apartment.

We're urban dwellers with full time jobs and a very content Border Collie....however, as has been mentioned, this is because our lives revolve around him...or rather he revolves around us, all day long. :rolleyes: Honestly, getting a BC needs to be considered as much a choice of lifestyle as breed of dog. Yes, their athleticism, intelligence and focus make them great sport dogs...but those same traits, even with a great off switch, come back from the park and into the house with them. Our dog is a huge part of our lives...the kind of role a child might take in a family. I'm dog crazy, so this is easy for me...but its not as easy for my wife all the time. Her input would be to consider it carefully...for there will be sacrifice involved.

I might suggest that simply not being "anti-dog" isn't enough for this breed...you really need to be ready to become a "dog-person"...you know, those weirdos that talk to their animals, frequent parks and open spaces in pouring down rain, sleet, hail and snow...know what healthy poop and not-so-healthy poop looks like...are comfortable with dog hair and dog slobber on their car seats and wood floors, on their clothes...in their coffee, etc. Then, take it a step further with BC-people...who are constantly working with, training, exercising, cuddling with and otherwise loving their dogs...who are constantly working with, training, exercising, cuddling with and otherwise loving their owners. Truly, they're not like other dogs...and the same needs to be said for their handlers.

That said, kudos to you for planning so far ahead. These folks know what they're talking about...good luck!