BC Boards

update on rehab dog

Lenajo

I worked him in a lesson the other day and the clinician pointed out that the dog is so desperate to please me that he's taking any eye contact or frontal view as a correction. He had me turn my head away from him, keeping my shoulder to him only. If I need to move around the sheep I do so slowly and if I need to go the other way I turn away from him only.

Within a few minutes he was working better than he had been before I got him. We will have to condition him to learn that some pressure from me is a good thing, and that he just needs to work through it.

But for now he is gathering, flanking both ways and stopping! He is still fawning a little off stock, but some of this appears to be his nature. It was pointed out to me that I could do far worse that have a dog that adored me this much :rolleyes:

We won't be at the Bluegrass for a while, but I've got a good solid farm dog in the making. Thanks for everyone who'se been sending PMs and emails asking about him.

I'm grateful to hear that you are making progress. As for the clinician's comments, that is the value of having an experienced set of eyes watch, and point out valuable hints.

Best wishes!